Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture 3 hangs on startup

Hi: i have a problem with aperture 3 since my last import. It hansg on start up. If i choose another blank library it starts without problems. But when i try to open my current library ( with 87.000 masters referenced ) it hangs up. I tried to repair / rebuild the library with no results. One of the times it start and i made a new vault. I´m trying to rebuild the library for 3 time and i hope to restore from this last vault.

I´ve read this post

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2463683?start=0&tstart=0

¿ should i try this ?

I was thinking of erase the application and reinstall, but i haven´t do that because its start normally if i choose another blank library.

I´m lost. Help please!

Thanks in advance !

Roberto

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 14, 2012 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 12:57 AM

Roberto,

if Aperture hangs on start-up after a recent import, then you probably have imported a corrupted image. Then Aperture may hang while trying to generate a Preview.

I'd suggest to launch Aperture again, but to defer the generation of previews - this is done by holding down the "Shift" key while launching Aperture. If this succeeds and you can run Aperture again, then export the master files of your last import (File -> Export -> Master) to back them up and to be able to inspect them with another application, e.g. Preview.

Then try to identify which image may be causing thre trouble, by selecting small subsets of your recently imported images and trying to generate previews for them - if it succedes, you will know that the images in this subset are o.k., but if Aperture crashes again, the corrupted image is one of the recently tested.

Then delete these images from your Aperture library, and now Aperture hould be able to launch again.

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2012 12:57 AM in response to RobertoRuiz

Roberto,

if Aperture hangs on start-up after a recent import, then you probably have imported a corrupted image. Then Aperture may hang while trying to generate a Preview.

I'd suggest to launch Aperture again, but to defer the generation of previews - this is done by holding down the "Shift" key while launching Aperture. If this succeeds and you can run Aperture again, then export the master files of your last import (File -> Export -> Master) to back them up and to be able to inspect them with another application, e.g. Preview.

Then try to identify which image may be causing thre trouble, by selecting small subsets of your recently imported images and trying to generate previews for them - if it succedes, you will know that the images in this subset are o.k., but if Aperture crashes again, the corrupted image is one of the recently tested.

Then delete these images from your Aperture library, and now Aperture hould be able to launch again.

Regards

Léonie

aperture 3 hangs on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.