Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable phone number linking?

A website I visit for work uses phone numbers as user IDs. These IDs are clickable, bringing you to a user info page. When I access this website from my ipad and click on the phone numbers I'm being asked if I want to add this number to my contact list. As a result I am unable to access the user info page.

I understand that the ipad styles phone numbers in various applications (apparently Safari included) as links so you can easily add them to your contact list (or on the iPhone, give them a call), but it seems silly that this behavior would take priority over a link that was already styled as a hyperlink by the website designer.

I've done a quick google search and the only discussion I've found on this topic is aimed at website developers and not at changing iPad settings to deactivate this feature. There must be a way!

Thanks

Mike

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:54 AM

6 replies

May 15, 2012 5:23 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'll check it out but in the mean time I have good news to report... turns out that application was NOT making links of phone numbers but was using javascript to make the entire table cell click-able. To get safari to "do the right thing" all I gotta do is click anywhere BUT the phone number. Fortunately there's space available.

How do I disable phone number linking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.