Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi selection in settings is all greyed out - I cannot choose a WiFi connection

Suddenly my WiFi connection on iPhone 4S is kapput. WiFi selection in settings is all greyed out - I cannot choose a WiFi connection

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:55 AM

Basic troubleshooting steps clearly outlined in the User Guide are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new.

If you've gone through ALL the troubleshooting steps and you're still having the problem, then you most likely have a hardware issue and will need to bring your phone to Apple for evaluation.

8 replies

May 22, 2012 9:19 PM in response to parisaustralien69

I have the same issue - and I've tried everything listed in these forums and more. Nothing has worked - and I've had the phone less than 24 hours.

I took it to an Apple store to see a Genius this afternoon. They don't say what is wrong, but offered to replace the phone however BEWARE - when they say they will replace it, they often mean with a refurbished device, they will not replace it with a new device. Because I bought mine from a different retailer, even though it is an Apple device failed less than 24 hours out of the box, Apple will not give me a new phone - they acknowledged that it is a manufacturing defect, and couldn't understand why I was not satisfied with receiving a refurbished device. This seems ridiculous to me - I'm a long-time, repeat customer - but that doesn't appear to matter. I've heard great things about Apple customer service, now that I've needed it, I've found it isn't so great after all.

I got in touch with the retailer from whom I purchase the phone - they were shocked that Apple would not replace it - especially since I have Apple Care. They are now trying to get it worked out and obtain a new phone for me.

May 23, 2012 7:28 AM in response to gdgmacguy

I'm sorry, but when a brand new product fails out of the box due to a manufacturing defect, it is the manufacturer who is responsible for replacement with a brand new product - that's just good business practice and good customer service - and I can say that because I've working the manufacturing/sales industry for 20+ years.

If I'd had the phone for a month, or 6 months, then I could see the offer of a refurbished device - but this phone failed less than 24 hours after I took it out of the box.

I am working with the reseller - but they don't have the phone in stock, I got the last one. They also were shocked that Apple would not replace a new device with a new device.

WiFi selection in settings is all greyed out - I cannot choose a WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.