Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 MacBookPro

I have a Mac with these specs.:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

Serial Number (system): W8******2QP

Hardware UUID:

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

OS 10.5.8

Despite at the time of purchase having been assured that it was almost limitlessly upgrade-able, every time i try to connect with Apple's website for an upgrade, I am told that this is not possible.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks

LGHH

<Edited by Host>

MacBookPro, Hardware Overview: Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:51 AM

Software Update provides updates, not upgrades. Upgrades are major changes, updates are bug correction or tweaks. You have to pay (in just about all cases) for upgrades. Some required you purchase them on disc, but recently Apple has been doing it with downloads. For example, with your computer you could upgrade the system from 10.5.8 to 10.6 (by buying the disc) or to 10.7 (by first buying the 10.6 disc, then buying the 10.7 download). There are many more details.

No computer is endlessly upgradable. Eventually you will find that software upgrades no longer run on old hardware and you'll have to buy a new computer. You're not quite at that stage yet, though if you decide to go to Lion you may want more "memory" (RAM) on your computer.

You posted this in the forum for OSX 10.3 and earlier. The get the best response, please make sure you post in the correct forum. You also should not include private information such as hardware serial numbers in your post. I will request the hosts move the post and edit it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2012 8:51 AM in response to lindsayxix

Software Update provides updates, not upgrades. Upgrades are major changes, updates are bug correction or tweaks. You have to pay (in just about all cases) for upgrades. Some required you purchase them on disc, but recently Apple has been doing it with downloads. For example, with your computer you could upgrade the system from 10.5.8 to 10.6 (by buying the disc) or to 10.7 (by first buying the 10.6 disc, then buying the 10.7 download). There are many more details.

No computer is endlessly upgradable. Eventually you will find that software upgrades no longer run on old hardware and you'll have to buy a new computer. You're not quite at that stage yet, though if you decide to go to Lion you may want more "memory" (RAM) on your computer.

You posted this in the forum for OSX 10.3 and earlier. The get the best response, please make sure you post in the correct forum. You also should not include private information such as hardware serial numbers in your post. I will request the hosts move the post and edit it.

May 14, 2012 9:04 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos for this clear and informative reply.

Can I buy this (CD upgrade to 10.6) locally in the UK at an Apple shop? I live quite rurally, so know not exactly where to go.

And would not a company of Apple's sophistication be able to send the necessary down the tube anyway, if I pay for it?

I apologise for my failure to post in the "correct" forum - I am in this regard a novice, so thank you for your forbeareance.

LGHH

2008 MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.