Skip navigation

multiple accounts & conflicts

2057 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 11:52 AM by Ralph Johns (UK) RSS
Loren Ryter Level 2 Level 2 (495 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 14, 2012 9:17 AM

In messages beta I have several possibly conflicting accounts:

x@me.com (imessage)

x@mac.com (AIM)

x@me.com (AIM)

y (AIM/AOL)

I keep the @mac.com because many old contacts probably have me that way.  But can or should I consolidate them and if so, how?

In a related issue, how can I send messages to another user with a similar configuration, via iMessage instead of AIM?  She is set up (on the address card tab of her info) with an AOL/AIM account, a @mac.com account, and a cell phone number.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,840 points)
    May 14, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to Loren Ryter)

Hi,

To some extent it can depend on when you got the various IDs.

On the whole Apple are explicit that you cannot join/consolidate  Apple ID's

However there are previous and current exceptions that deal with creating certain names.

With a little History I will explain.

You may have got your @mac.com name when Apple ran the .Mac service.

If this was a paid for account at the time Apple introduced MobileMe you could link your @mac.com name to your @me.com name and continue using it as your email (Two "names", One Password = 1 account)

Currently you can do the same with ANY Apple ID and an iCloud name (Also ending in @me.com)

This again creates this two names, one Password account.

As you know these Apple IDs are also valid AIM Screen Names and you obviously use one as such.

If you have an @mac.com name from .Mac and it is linked to a MobileMe @me.com name it is a Separate name as far as the AIM Servers are concerned.  (which you say you do.)

Notes

There are considerations about creating an iCloud Issued @me.com name if you are still using iChat 5 or earlier as these names will not work (iChat 6 which can use them, also logs in to me.com and this allows the AIM Server to "See" and verify the passowrds which iChat 5 cannot do)

As iMessages on the Mac needs Message Beta and this Post is in Message beta Community I would guess your specs are no longer:-

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Summary.

You may have linked for email purposes an Live/active @mac.com name to an new but active MobileMe account with an @me.com name when that change came about.

For iChat and Messages Beta these remain separate Screen Names.

You may have created an iCloud issued @me.com name that may be linked to another Apple ID (which in turn maybe the @mac.com one).

These again would be linked for email purposes but remain two AIM valid Names (Although the iCloud one can only be used in iChat 6 or higher) .

Next bit.

Lets say you make sure that every Buddy you have in the AIM @mac.com login has a First Name, Last Name entry so they are in the Address Book you can then set up a group in the Address Book fro your iChat/Messages contacts.

This whole groups can be dragged to another Buddy List.

I have "transferred" 192 buddies to another Screen Name this way.

You can of course drag Buddies from one Buddy List to another which may be a way to catch those you only have Screen Name details for.

NOTE

I would NOT drag all those Buddies to one chat (group chat) to tell them that you are moving from@mac.com to @me.com

Some people may not want all your other Buddies to know their Screen Name.

However you can slowly migrate people over to your "new" Screen Name if you wish.

The Related Issue

If your friend (to save confusion between Contact or Buddy) has an Apple ID (you say she has an @Mac.com name) then if she has Lion at at least OS X 10.7.3 and Message Beta AND uses that name/ID in Messages beta then you can iMessage her.

Obviously you can iMessage her iPhone (if it is an iPhone)

Depending if you are in the United States (or your computer thinks it is) and she is on a US carrier that supports AIM's SMS forwarding you may be able to SMS her.

As her Apple ID email can be used as both an iMessage contact and an AIM Login it may pay to enter that fact in to her Address Card twice (once as the Email {even if it no longer works as email} and as the AIM Screen Name  Info)

In Messages you can type a Name (As in Contact/Address Book First Name, Last Name) in the "To" spot and the name should appear.

You can then use it as a Drop down and it will offer you the Various "To" IDs and Screen Names and Your "From" option that match  (Though in a couple of Jabber IDs and this can get messy)

8:34 PM      Monday; May 14, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

May 15, 2012 11:50 AM (in response to Loren Ryter)

HI,

When I chose Contacts at the Blue Plus icon I get iMessage Speech bubble next to some of the contact points

Messages and Contacts

May 15, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to Ralph Johns (UK))

Hi,

I missed the edit to get more info in (After not meaning to post)

If I go to the Blue Plus icon and then chose Buddies and a particular Buddy I can use their name as a drop down.

Message Buddies

I have several Names and they appear in each others Buddy Lists.

If you take this one stage further and have  Buddy with those  Detail in their Address Card the Drop down will show you various options based on those lists

Buddies with Multiple names

This person appears in my Jabber and some of my AIM lists.  (ichatavtesting is no longer a valid used name - it's a service they used to run.)

It also identifies his Jabber ID as a potential iMessage name (I am not sure as I have not contacted them in a while)

It does take both the Names or IDs to be in various Buddy Lists AND for the details to be on the same Address Card to show  up like this.

8:26 PM      Tuesday; May 15, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 16, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to Loren Ryter)

Hi,

Yes. If I added all my Own Screen Names to my Address Card then mine would look that crazy as well.

I tends to keep some as Screen Name only in the Buddy List(s) partly because of that reason.

Like you show in the pic Messages can't seem to tell an iPhone number from any other number and your Buddy seems to have a least 5  (Based on the 4 and 5 digits you do show).

Is the Phone Number shown as a AIM Buddy (Screen Name) for your Buddy the number of her iPhone ?

Did you add this to iChat/Messages or is it grabbing it from Address Book entry ?

I take it you would not SMS from any of your AIM Logins to her Phone ?

As I mentioned before items/Screen Names or Phone Numbers should only appear if they have been added to the Buddy List  (your could edit some of the lists to reduce the options for that (your) Screen Name/List)

FaceTime

The arrow head in a circle in Face Time does lead to a full display of the email

I set up Buddies/Contacts as Favourites and List only one of the emails they have (if they have more).

Thanks for the Points  Solved tick

8:10 PM      Wednesday; May 16, 2012

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.4)
     Mac OS X (10.7.4),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

• vikasbook Calculating status...
    May 17, 2012 12:28 AM (in response to Loren Ryter)

Thanks a lot this conversation solved many issue from my mind.

May 17, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to Loren Ryter)

HI,

A Buddy as an SMS contact is added to an AIM list as it shows in that list   --  +1(then Number).

It has to be +1 as only phones (Any Cell/Mobile Phone) in America that is on a carrier that accepts AIM's SMS forwarding.

(your computer has to be set up as if it is in the United States (System Preferences > Language andText > Region)

In theory you should be able to highlight any buddy in the Buddy List (Single click) and then use the Backspace key to get a dialogue box asking to confirm you want to remove the Buddy.

However there may be an issue in Messages Beta as I have tried and asked Buddies of Mine to try and does not seem to work.

I have  bug report in for that one.

(Deleting the Buddy on a lower version of iChat will allow it to be deleted - Only get logged in on one computer at a time or any other open iChat/Message Beta will resurrect the deleted Buddy)

Recent Buddies

This "group" is not actually part of your Buddy List.

It is a sub group if you like that AIM keeps at there end of people that have contacted You (Or you them) that are NOT in the Buddy list.

You cannot delete people from this Group.

You can stop it being displayed in the iChat/Message > Preferences > Accounts

In the account Info tab of AIM logins in  the section below the Screen name and Password boxes is a tick Box.

Un-tick it.

You used to be able to Delete the whole Group (Presumably from the AIM servers) if you Right-Clicked the Title Bar of the Group and then used the backspace key. (I have not tried this since iChat 5).

If you do this on any other Groups it will delete ALL the people/Buddies in the group as well (You get a Dialogue Box telling you)

For those people that are in multiple Buddy Lists and have Multiple Screen Names that you may no longer want to use in Any Buddy list are you have removed them from the Buddy List will alos need that info deleting from their Address Book Card.

At this point I do have several Buddies that have several Address Card that hold different Info.

You may want to create a "Deirdrexxx SMS" card.

7:51 PM      Thursday; May 17, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.7.4),

May 17, 2012 11:52 AM (in response to vikasbook)

You're welcome.

Thanks for letting us know.

7:52 PM      Thursday; May 17, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.7.4),

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.