Previous 1 2 3 Next 33 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 2:36 AM by Pilek
Pilek Level 1 Level 1

Hello

I want to reformat my hdd and split it on few partitions but i get following problems

- Disk utility doesn't allow to split it, i check it in single user mode, nothing works

- Doesn't want to boot, I tried to boot it from  external hdd, usb, cd, dvd, nothing works, I just see Grey apple and that's it,nothing happends

I left it even like that for whole night and nothing happened

I did scan disk, check blocks etc. no errors :/ it give me some filesystem error (which i googled and it sayd you need to boot from different partition so it will work)

c, cmd r, doesnt work

starting with opt key gives me list of devices but it freezes after

My macbook pro is from mid 2010, 8 gb of ram (i did change it by myself, but works perfectly)

The os snow leopard works perfectly, but I need to split the partition

Tried to reinstall os but it stops after restart (in middle of instalation) , it gives me grey apple and thats it

I don't have original dvd, lost it some time ago, can't get new one since I moved to middle of nowhere(no apple shops or anything)

Any solution ? single user mode commands would be most helpful, id just format the hdd and split/reinstall the os from zero

Is there any chance to reformat/partition hdd from single user mode? or any software that I can boot from ?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • tjk Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
  • Pilek Level 1 Level 1

Does it allow to boot from? It doesnt allow me to split partition, says It needs to be different partition than I boot from (I have one partition)

Update - I tried to use single user mode with diskutil but it sayd disk managment is not installed :/

• eww Level 9 Level 9

Deleted

• tjk Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Pilek wrote:

Does it allow to boot from? It doesnt allow me to split partition, says It needs to be different partition than I boot from (I have one partition)

Update - I tried to use single user mode with diskutil but it sayd disk managment is not installed :/

What disc and disk are you trying to boot from?

• Pilek Level 1 Level 1

I tried to boot from  dvd,usb, external hdd

My hdd is working, i just need to split/reformat it because it haveonly 500 gb , one partition

• eww Level 9 Level 9

What OS X version is on each of the devices/disks/volumes you have tried to boot from?

• tjk Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Which DVD are you using? Is it from another Mac? Is it retail? Is it Snow Leopard? Is it a newer update than what your MBP originally shipped with (it needs to be). Same with the external HD. What's on it/where did it come from?

• Pilek Level 1 Level 1

Its snow leopard retail

I dont think its older verions, can that be an issue since im trying to boot from totally different hdd?

I got it from my friend, then created image of it on usb/external

• tjk Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

It needs to be a version newer than the one your MBP shipped with.

Most SL retail versions are 10.6.3. If your machine shipped with an OS newer than that, that is your issue.

Boot your MBP normally and check the version of OS X you're running (Apple menu > About this Mac).

• Pilek Level 1 Level 1

It says  10.6.8

So,if i have different os  it just wont allow be to boot from? thats funny ^^

Why they didn't fix it ?

I don't want to get lion/ mountain lion because it's crap

• tjk Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Pilek wrote:

It says  10.6.8

So,if i have different os  it just wont allow be to boot from? thats funny ^^

Why they didn't fix it ?

I don't want to get lion/ mountain lion because it's crap

Not "different," but older.

Clone your existing MBP HD to an external HD (using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!), then you can boot from the external HD and partition all you want.

• eww Level 9 Level 9

Your machine was shipped with OS X 10.6.3 pre-installed on it. It can't boot from a 10.6.3 retail DVD or from a DVD containing a later OS version that was shipped with a different Mac model. It requires either a retail DVD containing 10.6.4 or better (I think the highest version available on a retail DVD is 10.6.6, but it may only be 10.6.3), or a duplicate of the DVD it was shipped with (obtainable for a fee by phoning AppleCare and providing your machine's serial number). If you don't have a DVD fitting one of those descriptions, you aren't going to be able to boot your machine, repartition the hard drive, or install an OS on any partition.

EDIT: I take it back. tjk has offered the best solution above..

• Pilek Level 1 Level 1

I managed to get ipartition startup disk, was able to format my partition but I can't split it

Any clues?

Im trying to boot it from external now

• Pilek Level 1 Level 1

Ok, i managed to format my hdd, partition it and... now it doesnt boot

It gives me the apple logo and thats it

I tried to reboot it from usb/external drive etc. nothing helps

ITs just dead

Previous 1 2 3 Next