Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 Authorized to 2 computers ? Plus a back-up issue.

I synced my iPad as soon as I got it.

I recently downloaded iBooks 2.1.1 directly using my iPad.

When I went to sync my iPad again to have a back-up, iTunes displayed a dialog box that my computer has not been authorized to back-up iBooks, and said to go to the "Store" menu and click on "Authorize This Computer".

When I did this, it has bought up a dialog box saying that I have Authorized my iPad to 2 computers.

I ONLY have ONE computer, how can my iPad be Authorized to 2 computers ?

I also notice that when I authorized this computer, it has removed ALL of the back-ups that I made of my iPad BEFORE today.

User uploaded file

1. Is there any way to check what the "other" computer that my iPad is Authorized to ?
  2. Can I remove that Authorization without the "other" computer that I NEVER Authorized to ?
  3. Can I get back the original back-up that iTunes deleted ?
  4. If so, How do I get it back ?

Sorry if I have added the incorrect Categories & Tags for this question.

Posted on May 14, 2012 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:20 AM

Are you sure that it didn't say that you have the computer already authorized, e.g. this dialog box?

User uploaded file

I've never seen a dialog box saying that an iPad was authorized to more than one computer - it can't be - only that an iPad was synched to another computer. Is that what you meant?

5 replies

May 14, 2012 11:51 AM in response to varjak paw

When I went to sync my iPad again to have a back-up, iTunes displayed a dialog box that my computer has not been authorized to back-up iBooks, and said to go to the "Store" menu and click on "Authorize This Computer".

When I did this, it has bought up a dialog box saying that I have Authorized my iPad to 2 computers.

That is the dialog box that was displayed. It said that it was "Including this one, you have authorized to 2 computers out of your available 5".

I only have ONE computer, there is no way for me to authorize to an other computer.

1. Is there any way to check what the "other" computer that my iPad is Authorized to ?
  2. Can I remove that Authorization without the "other" computer that I NEVER Authorized to ?

I also notice that when I authorized this computer, it has removed ALL of the back-ups that I made of my iPad BEFORE today.

1. Can I get back the original back-up that iTunes deleted ?
  2. If so, How do I get it back ?

Or is something somewhere being lost in translation ?

Sorry for late reply.

May 14, 2012 11:59 AM in response to b j t

While I can't be certain since I can't see your system, I suspect you're conflating two different dialogs, one that says you've authorized two computers to the iTunes Store and one that says you had your iPad synced to another computer. This indicates that something corrupted the iTunes library to the point where iTunes built a new one and now thinks that the old library was different. This would bring up both the "authorized" and "synched" messages, and also explain the lack of earlier backups appearing.

As to a fix, someone else may have better suggestions, but take a look in your iTunes folder for a "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder. If there is one present, look in that folder for a library file that would have a modification date that would indicate that it was from prior to the problem. If you can find one, you may be able to rename that back to "iTunes Library" and move it back to the normal location in the iTunes folder and then have things back to normal. But I'm not certain. It would be worth a try, though; I'd suggest moving the existing iTunes Library file somewhere else so you can put it back should renaming the old library not work.

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2012 9:22 PM in response to varjak paw

I have looked over the files and folders in the iTunes Folder, as you suggested, I can't see TWO of any of the files OR folders any where.

I think I might be getting confused about the Back-up / Sync process.

I thought that I could have more than ONE (multiple) back-ups of the SAME iPad on my mac ( I synced again, and found that it changed the back-up time to 1:52 PM ( it was 2:09 AM originally { posted above } ).

User uploaded file

I will leave the settings on my computer alone as I don't want to mess anything up ( I am still learning about the "mac" universe, and how it all works )

Sorry for the confusion.

iPad 3 Authorized to 2 computers ? Plus a back-up issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.