Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new ipad switches from wifi to 3g while using sky go or watching movies on wifi netwrok

Hi all,

I have just purchased the new ipad after getting the 4s 2 months ago as i was so impressed with apples products but found that my new ipad is switching itself off from the wifi connection to 3g network while i'm watching a film on my sky go app?

Firstly to all of you who say "turn off cellular data connection" THIS IS NOT A FIX OR SOLUTION.

My iphone 4s' cellular data connection is always on and i have watched many films on this over wifi and it has not 15 mins or so later switched over to 3g.

The software is designed so that you do not need to manually switch on data connection EVERYTIME you leave a wifi network as i would have to do as i use tomtom and other apps that require connection at all times.

I have run tests over and over and this issue just keeps repeating. I have set the ipad next to my router which is bt infinty (fibre optics), so with full signal strength and 40mb download speed so not dropping connection to wifi or slow internet speeds, yet about 15 mins into watching a film if i tap the screen to see the ipads nofifactions like battery life etc at the top of the screen i see that it has switched itself over to 3G!!!

As soon as i close the sky go app the ipad switches straight back over to wifi. This is also the case if im watching a video on you tube or film on the internet so not a sky go app issue and this does not do it on iphone 4s.

I have seen a few similar threads about this same sort of problem with the new ipad but any advice would be great in resolving this issue or am i having to go back into vodafone to return the ipad?

At present i am restoring the ipad via itunes to see if it is a software issue with the ipad??

Kind Regards

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:54 AM

1 reply

May 14, 2012 2:09 PM in response to somewhat fcuked

Solution found.

I am a Vodafone customer and installed the Vodafone app which asks you to turn off wifi connection on installation as it needs to communicate with their servers over 3G.

After restoring the iPad via iTunes this is the only app that I did nor re-install and seems to be too much of coincidence that while in full screen view watching films my wifi is switched off and 3G data connection is established 10 - 15 minutes into a fiilm and my data allowance gets eaten up!

I would also get push notifications from Vodafone saying "my daily data usage was almost used" with this app installed.

Have tested and on 3rd time watching sky go still wifi is on after 30 mins.

DO NOT INSTALL VODAFONE APP FROM THE APP STORE.

The new ipad switches from wifi to 3g while using sky go or watching movies on wifi netwrok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.