Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have changed my apple id but it has not changed on my iphone?

I have changed my apple id but it has not changed on my iphone?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2012 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 11:36 AM

Welcome to the Apple community.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

When you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2012 11:36 AM in response to brizy

Welcome to the Apple community.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

When you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

Jul 10, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Bennett2121

Bennett2121 wrote:

That did not work! I still can not update any apps I had previously downloaded as it still thinks my username is the old one. ARGH! Apple this is becoming a headache!!!!!!

Winston was talking about changing the iCloud ID on your device, not the ID used for Apps. To change that ID, go to Settings>iTunes & App Stores, tap the ID, sign out, then sign back in with the ID you want to use. Note: even if you change the ID you will still be prompted for the password for the old ID when you update any apps purchased with that ID. This is because apps and their updates are permanently tied to the ID used to purchase them.

May 22, 2014 8:23 AM in response to Professor Rick

Professor Rick wrote:

I am having the same difficulty. I changed my Apple ID but cannot get my Iphone and Ipad on the new one. I try to get password for the old Apple ID but I get no email when it says "email sent." Any help?

If the old ID is an earlier version of your current ID, temporarily recreated the old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

May 29, 2014 3:03 PM in response to randers4

I have discovered a workaround for this. You don't need to change your Apple ID back to the old one, just go to settings > iCloud and then turn off Find My iPhone, it will show your old Apple ID but just enter your password for new Apple ID and then Find My iPhone will be turned off, then delete the iCloud account and it should work without asking for a password

ThatBorisGuy

i have changed my apple id but it has not changed on my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.