Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk will not partition

Hi,

I have a 1TB iMac, and recently removed my windows 7 partition due to a problem when i resized my Mac OSX Lion partition to fill up empty space. Now when i try to create the windows partition again on bootcamp, i click continue and message comes up saying "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows", and then i cannot choose the option of installing windows 7. Anyone know what to do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 14, 2012 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2012 1:24 PM

Useless message and misleading, isn't it.

Try shrink your volume first, then extend back to full size.

free space is fragmented, it has to be unfragmented contiguous and can't have any locked files.

11 replies

May 14, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Zak141

You read what I said: shrink the volume.

If that does not work then take further steps.

I have bookmarks in user profile for public on this and other questions, because this (use to get asked daily) 1000+ times.

At worst erase and restore from [clone] made with [ Carbon Copy Cloner, Superduper, DU Restore, TimeMachine, ______ ]

iDefrag and iPartition are not guaranteed to consolidate free space.

May 15, 2012 9:07 PM in response to The hatter

Its not a fragmentation issue. With bootcamp depending on how you remove the partition will determine how the other partitions react. Apple likes to have clean partitions when it makes bootcamp partitions and it will only use the space that is connected to the apple partition when bootcamp is created. Also if you need to reinstall the apple OS completely you will also need to remove the bootcamp partition it will prevent the OS from installing correctly. Try using the recovery partition disk utility to delete the unused partitions.

Disk will not partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.