Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make photos smaller in aperture to fit in book?

I have photos that I want to use in a layout. I need to make the photos smaller so you can see the whole image. How do I make the image smaller?

Thanks

Posted on May 14, 2012 3:00 PM

12 replies

May 15, 2012 1:39 AM in response to MacCookie

😕 Sorry, I do not really understand your question - are you asking about an Aperture Book and the size the images appear on a page in the book, or are are you asking how to export from Aperture in different sizes, so you can use the image in the layout in a different application?

In a book in Aperture you can click the "Edit Layout" button to adjust the size of photo boxes, and if the image does not fit into the box you can use the "Edit Content" button, click the image and adjust the size slider.

To export different sizes of images pick a suitable export preset in the "File > Export" dialogue.

Regards

Léonie

May 15, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Sorry 'm not being clear. I'm creating a book in aperture 3. I'm inserting photo boxes on the background which I have created. I have symbols from the Air Force that I want to put into these boxes. The symbols are too large, so that when I put them in and try and have the whole image show, it's just too big. I cannot shrink them into any of the boxes using that image slider. It's alread at the smallest. So I was wondering how to make static images smaller so that they fit into one of the image boxes. I hope that's clearer.

Thanks,

May 15, 2012 5:45 PM in response to MacCookie

So first as Léonie asked what theme are you using? Themes behave differently and to test this out we need to know what you are using.

You've got that text box overlapping the image so its tough to see exactly where the image ends. If you could delete it it would make things easier to see.

If you right click on the image what is the scale to fit setting and the aspect ratio for the photo box?

And finally what does the image look like just in the browser? In all my usage of books in Aperture anytime I have placed an image in a photo box it was scaled to fit in the box and show the entire image. Are you sure the image has space around it if you view it in the browser? A screen shot of the image in the browser or viewer would help also.

regards

May 16, 2012 12:14 PM in response to MacCookie

User uploaded file

A test with the "Journal" theme: All images are 10 MP sized, no need to make them smaller.

• - First I arranged the photo boxes and set their sizes in"Edit Layout" mode,
  • - Then, in "Edit Content" mode I set the photo boxes to "Scale to fill" or "Scale to fit" (crtl-click the image and select the scale mode you want from the pop-up menu > Photo Box Alignment), exactly like Frank suggested

So, for me it works as expected - where is your workflow different?

May 16, 2012 12:33 PM in response to MacCookie

OK I think I now see what you are driving at. It's not that the image in the book is to big (well it is but it's not the book's fault) it's that the image as you have it fills up the entire frame and you want white space around it when it is in the book.

Is that an accurate statement of the situation? If so I would look into downloading BorderFx a free plugin for Aperture. You'll be able to add a border around the image and then when you place that image in a book image box the image will not touch the edges of the box.

How can I make photos smaller in aperture to fit in book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.