Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to burn a slideshow made in iMovie to a DVD so that I can play it on my TV. I have a new Mac that does not have iDVD. I have tried burn for mac and it did not work.

I need to burn a slideshow made in iMovie to a DVD so that I can play it on my TV. I have a new Mac that does not have iDVD. I have tried burn for mac and it did not work.

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:03 PM

3 replies

May 15, 2012 3:12 AM in response to westy6

There is no proper alternative to iDVD.

Apple believes that the entire world has access to fast broadband and wants to distribute home movies to friends and relatives via download (iCloud) rather than mailing them a DVD. The fact that in reality not all users do, has so far had no effect on this policy. If you scream and shout loudly enough down the phone Apple may send you a free copy of iDVD. That worked for some, but is now said to have been withdrawn by Apple. Also, you can complain bitterly here, perhaps suggesting that Apple could have provided a choice between using iCloud and burning DVDs:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Whilst Macs with a Superdrive continue to be able to burn video DVDs, the software for so doing, iDVD, is no longer included in the iLife bundle that comes with OS 10.7 Lion (which also omitted iWeb) or will come with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. And it is no longer included in the iLife 11 from the online Apple Store: http://www.apple.com/ilife/. Your only solution is to look on Amazon or eBay and try to get an older version that includes iDVD.

However, the vastly more expensive FCPX can burn a DVD without iDVD or DVD Studio Pro involvement, but lack the themes etc of iDVD. Also, of course, there is Roxio Toast.

And if you think Microsoft are any better, their new Windows 8 operating system will not play DVDs, or burn them, unless customers buy an extra upgrade, the company has announced.

In other words, computer manufacturers have declared optical media as dead, long before consumers are ready to stop using them, which is fine as long as they offered us a choice, but they won’t even do that.

May 15, 2012 5:23 AM in response to westy6

Hi

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as

• Data-DVDs not as

• Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only one You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

May 15, 2012 6:44 AM in response to westy6

I have about a half a dozen other DVD authoring programs, including Toast, Burn and others. IDVD is vastly superior and easier to use.

IDVD is a wonderful piece of software and well worth the low cost of $43.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U

I also recommend sending feedback to Apple as suggested above. (All feedback comments are read and logged by Apple.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.