Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect a Thunderbolt display to a PC? My cpu won't recognize the monitor, pls help!

Hi everyone,

I'm using a mini displayport to displayport adapter to connect the thunderbolt to my pc but it won't recognize the monitor for some reason. Can somebody help me out? Thanks!

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:33 PM

7 replies

May 15, 2012 11:46 AM in response to stretch20999

It is sort of hard to tell the difference between a mini-displayport plug and a TB plug since they are physically compatible, i.e., you can plug a mini-displayport version into a TB port and it will work.

The instant difference you can notice between the two displays is the mini-displayport version has three connections, mini-displayport, usb, and magsafe connector (and when I stop to think of it, yes, since you can't daisy chain mini-displayport displays there is not port on the back other than three USB's). The TB version has only two connections.

So if you have som kind of mini-displayport adapter or converter to attach to your PC. You didn't specify what your PC's video ports are. If it's DVI then you would need to use a dual link dvi converter/adapter:

Atlona (Dual Link) DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter

If your PC doesn't have DVI then that could be a potential problem and will require some google searching to see if other kinds of adapters exist for a mini-displayport display. And that could be a problem finding because I am not sure other converters exist.

Don't be confused by searches that find adapters for the other way around, i.e., mini-displayport to whatever adapter/converters. There's may varieties of them. But these devices are not bi-directional, i.e, you cannot run them in reverse, for example, a mini-displayport to VGA adapter is not a VGA to mini-displayport adapter.

May 15, 2012 5:17 PM in response to stretch20999

Forget the hdmi. And I am not sure about displayport adapters although a google search did appear to turn up a bunch with the proper gender.

male displayport to female mini displayport adapter

The first hit for me in that search was to the following:

Mini Displayport Female to Displayport Male Adapter Cable

If you follow that link you will see on that page that particular adapter has problems with 5000 series video cards and they don't know why. Perhaps whatever is affecting their converter is also affecting yours as well which is why it isn't working.

Finally, for the dvi port, there's that Atlona converter for the the DVI.

How do I connect a Thunderbolt display to a PC? My cpu won't recognize the monitor, pls help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.