Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages Versions

I am running OS 10.7.3 with Pages 09 version 4.1

When trying to save a file to a new name after editing, I only see 'Save a Version'. Pages Help does not come up with what a Version is or does.

I simply want to save the edited file under a new name. How do I now do that simple operation, and what is a 'Version'?

David

MacBook Intel Aluminium 13" and iMac Intel 24", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 15, 2012 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:40 AM

David,

In Lion, it's a 2-step process, but not difficult. File > Duplicate, File > Save.

When you do the File > Duplicate, a copy of the open document appears overlaying your original file. The duplicate document has a default name: "Original_Name Copy.Pages, but it still needs to be Saved.

When saving the duplicate, you have an opportunity to change the name to anything you wish and to set the folder to save into.

Jerry

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2012 5:40 AM in response to David Howes

David,

In Lion, it's a 2-step process, but not difficult. File > Duplicate, File > Save.

When you do the File > Duplicate, a copy of the open document appears overlaying your original file. The duplicate document has a default name: "Original_Name Copy.Pages, but it still needs to be Saved.

When saving the duplicate, you have an opportunity to change the name to anything you wish and to set the folder to save into.

Jerry

May 15, 2012 6:00 AM in response to David Howes

David,

Versions is a feature that let's your look back in time to view and if neccessary, revert to, a earlier status of the document. Version data is stored in a system file that you don't have access to. Saving a Version means that you consciously choose to create a "version" of your document that you will be able to scroll back to later. Saving a Version does not create a new file like "Duplicate" does.

Jerry

May 15, 2012 7:12 AM in response to David Howes

David,

I know that's a rhetorical question, and I surely don't know why things are documented the way they are. I'm confident that it's all documented somewhere, but there's a balance between completeness and readability in help files. The Knowledge Base article library has most of this detail, but it's not well cataloged, in my opinion.

Fortunately Apple gives us this discussion forum where we can share our experiences.

Good luck,

Jerry

May 15, 2012 12:33 PM in response to David Howes

David,

One of our best volunteer helpers, Yvan Koenig, has told me that even if the documentation was more complete, one wouldn't expect to find information on Versions, AutoSave, Resume and Duplicate in the app's help files, since it's a System function (Finder), not an App function. A good KB article on this subject is:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753

Thanks to Yvan.

Regards,

Jerry

Pages Versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.