Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple In-Ear Headphones went through the washing machine...

A few days ago, my Apple In-Ear Headphones got put through a washing machine whilst being in the case, in my pocket. During which, they'd come out of the case and tumbling around with the rest of the washing.

As soon as it was discovered (after the wash), they were put on a radiator to try out for a 24 hours or so. They still work (incl. microphone and controls), but I can't decide if they audio quality has degraded at all.

For the past few weeks, I've been heavily reliant on circumaural headphones for a large majority of production work and typically used my buds for out of the house music from my iPhone; something which I haven't done in a fair few weeks. The problem is, I've become largely accustomed to the quality that circumaural headphones would provide compared to that of the buds so I can't determine if they've got worse in quality. With no-one I presonally know who owns the In-Ear headphones, I cannot compare.

I've tested various songs through iTunes; acoustic, rock, metal, dubstep, dance, etc and whilst they're producing either bass or treble well; they still have an overtly "tinny" tone (which is expected to the larger "cans" I've been using) as if struggling to both at the same time. I've tried low and high frequency tests and they're producing frequencies of about 20Hz-20kHz (despite being quiet at upper and lower ends of the spectrum).

Has anyone else put these headphones through the washer and noticed any similar issues? Did they sound the same/different before and after?

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:54 PM

My headphones just went through the washes and dryer tonight and they're fine. Nothing happened to the quality of sound. The reason they're fine is because there was no electricity going through them at the time. Water conducts electricity so when you drop something with electricity going through it, it electrocutes everything and thats what breaks it. Apple headphones aren't that good anyways so that's why you may think that they sound worse but theyre most likely just fine.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2012 9:54 PM in response to jamie.shaw

My headphones just went through the washes and dryer tonight and they're fine. Nothing happened to the quality of sound. The reason they're fine is because there was no electricity going through them at the time. Water conducts electricity so when you drop something with electricity going through it, it electrocutes everything and thats what breaks it. Apple headphones aren't that good anyways so that's why you may think that they sound worse but theyre most likely just fine.

Apple In-Ear Headphones went through the washing machine...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.