Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Safari bookmarks, cookies and other preferences, etc

I want to back-up all Bookmarks, cookies etc from Safari whilst my iMac goes away to Apple for repair.

I then want, should anything happen to them whilst it is away (unlikely, as it is a failed DVD drive, but one can't be too careful!) to be able to restore them at a later date.

How can I do this?

What file(s) do I need to copy to my external drive and how can I later restore all current bookmarks, settings, etc?

Is it just a case of copying, deleting and later restoring the plist file?

I've backed up most other important data and settings but my mind has gone inexplicably blank (don't you dare mention advanced age!) on Safari!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

27" quad-core i7 iMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 16GB RAM; Also G4 eMac and G4 Tower

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:52 AM

Hello,

You don't really need to save the cookies, your passwords are more important ! 😉

The easiest to save everything related to Safari is to go in the folder yourusername/Library and backup the folder named Safari.

Inside of that folder you will find all your bookmarks, history, extensions, Top Sites, configuration, databases, downloads, webpages icons and local storage.

To save Safari's preferences you should backup the file com.apple.Safari.plist in the folder yourusername/Library/Preferences.

Hope this will help. 🙂

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2012 9:52 AM in response to iBozz

Hello,

You don't really need to save the cookies, your passwords are more important ! 😉

The easiest to save everything related to Safari is to go in the folder yourusername/Library and backup the folder named Safari.

Inside of that folder you will find all your bookmarks, history, extensions, Top Sites, configuration, databases, downloads, webpages icons and local storage.

To save Safari's preferences you should backup the file com.apple.Safari.plist in the folder yourusername/Library/Preferences.

Hope this will help. 🙂

Backing up Safari bookmarks, cookies and other preferences, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.