Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing 16:9 timeline in 4:3 environment

Hi!

I've been working on a project for a client in a 16:9 aspect ratio timeline. Recent changes have been made and the final projection MUST be in 4:3. Is there a way to import that old timeline into a 4:3 environment without having to individualy scale each clip to fit?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:37 AM

You can copy everything from the 16:9 project and paste it inside a 4:3 timeline.

You'll probably end up with letterboxing - i.e. two black bands at the top and bottom of the screen - simply because the aspect ration is different. That is assuming you have kept the spatial conformity of your clips to the default option, 'Fit'.

If this is acceptable, then that's all there is to it. If not, then you'll have to scale things and lose some visual content - if you enlarge a 16:9 to get rid of the letterboxing you'll lose the extreme bits at the sides.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2012 8:37 AM in response to pblfmaxandre

You can copy everything from the 16:9 project and paste it inside a 4:3 timeline.

You'll probably end up with letterboxing - i.e. two black bands at the top and bottom of the screen - simply because the aspect ration is different. That is assuming you have kept the spatial conformity of your clips to the default option, 'Fit'.

If this is acceptable, then that's all there is to it. If not, then you'll have to scale things and lose some visual content - if you enlarge a 16:9 to get rid of the letterboxing you'll lose the extreme bits at the sides.

Importing 16:9 timeline in 4:3 environment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.