Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two monitors, one iMac, mirroring problem

Here is the background: I want to stay healthy. All this sitting is killing me (and us).

So I attached a 23 inch Apple Cinema HD Display to my 16 GB memory (max) 27 inch iMac Intel Core i5 using a little adaptor. I have one screen up on a tall desk (so I can stand) and one on a lower desk (so I can sit) - this makes no difference to the problem here but, I want to give you a reason why I am asking a question. I use a wired Apple keyboard with the iMac and wireless with the Cinema HD. It all works great. Except for one problem.

I need to mirror the two (not mirroring would not make sense or work as it is essentially just two monitors in different user spots plus 2-3 feet apart on different levels + the menus and windows only stay on one screen for non mirroring - a pain). I only need one screen at a time.

When I mirror, the Cinema HD looks fine but the iMac shrinks down in size. When I choose the 2560 x 1440 iMac size, the iMac just goes back to the smaller 1920 x 1200 and says “Usable resolution 1920 x 1200”.

What is going on and, is there a fix I can employ to regain the lost screen real estate on the iMac screen? The 1920 x 1200 does not look as good on the iMac and the dock icons shrink to be unusable too.

Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:11 AM

There are no replies.

Two monitors, one iMac, mirroring problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.