Skip navigation

How rearrange folders in Bookmarks Menu?

3636 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 8:46 PM by murrayE RSS Branched to a new discussion.
murrayE Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 15, 2012 9:15 AM

Safari 5.1.7 under OS X 10.7.4 simply refuses to let me rearrange folders within the Bookmarks Menu. I use Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks and select Bookmarks Menu in the sidear. If I now drag and drop a folder within that menu, it just pops right back to where it was before.

I've tried all the methods I know:

(1) Drag com.apple.Safari.plist out of ~/Library/Preferences and restart Safari. Same problem.

(2) Use the app SafariSort (http://www.safarisort.com/), which alphabetizes all the folders and their contents. But as soon as I now try to drag-and-drop a folder or a bookmark, the order of everything reverts to the original (unwanted) order.

One question toward a solution would be where, exactly, does Safari store the list of Bookmark Menu folders? I examined com.apple.Safari.plist in both the XCode plist editor and in a plain text editor, but I don't see them there. (And actually it's obvious that the bookmarks cannot be there, since after I remove com.apple.Safari.plist and restart Safari, the bookmarks are back; where were they?)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 3.4GHz Corei7, 16GB, SSD + 2T HD
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,150 points)
    May 15, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to murrayE)

Hi..

Bookmarks are actually stored in Bookmarks.plist in your user library folder  ~/LibrarySafari

It's not possible to break down the actual folders from the .plist file.

You can alphabetize folders without a third party addon. Drag the folder to your Desktop. The Finder will automatically alphabetize your bookmarks then drag the folder back to the Safari window.

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,150 points)
    May 15, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to murrayE)

Neither one.

Click the Bookmarks icon in the toolbar.  ShowAllBookmarksgraphic.jpg

From your Safari menu bar click Bookmarks > Add Bookmark Folder

Drag the links you want bookmarked to that folder then drag that folder to the Desktop then drag it back to the Safari window.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.