Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How rearrange folders in Bookmarks Menu?

Safari 5.1.7 under OS X 10.7.4 simply refuses to let me rearrange folders within the Bookmarks Menu. I use Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks and select Bookmarks Menu in the sidear. If I now drag and drop a folder within that menu, it just pops right back to where it was before.

I've tried all the methods I know:

(1) Drag com.apple.Safari.plist out of ~/Library/Preferences and restart Safari. Same problem.

(2) Use the app SafariSort (http://www.safarisort.com/), which alphabetizes all the folders and their contents. But as soon as I now try to drag-and-drop a folder or a bookmark, the order of everything reverts to the original (unwanted) order.

One question toward a solution would be where, exactly, does Safari store the list of Bookmark Menu folders? I examined com.apple.Safari.plist in both the XCode plist editor and in a plain text editor, but I don't see them there. (And actually it's obvious that the bookmarks cannot be there, since after I remove com.apple.Safari.plist and restart Safari, the bookmarks are back; where were they?)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 3.4GHz Corei7, 16GB, SSD + 2T HD

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:15 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2012 11:00 AM in response to murrayE

Hi..

Bookmarks are actually stored in Bookmarks.plist in your user library folder ~/LibrarySafari

It's not possible to break down the actual folders from the .plist file.

You can alphabetize folders without a third party addon. Drag the folder to your Desktop. The Finder will automatically alphabetize your bookmarks then drag the folder back to the Safari window.

May 15, 2012 5:19 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

Bookmarks are actually stored in Bookmarks.plist in your user library folder ~/Library/Safari

It's not possible to break down the actual folders from the .plist file.

You can alphabetize folders without a third party addon. Drag the folder to your Desktop. The Finder will automatically alphabetize your bookmarks then drag the folder back to the Safari window.

No that did NOT work for me. Perhaps because your directions weren't quite what you meant.

You said to "drag the folder"--I presume the entire ~/Library/Safari folder -- but I cannot literally "drag the folder back to the Safari window": Safari (or the Finder) don't allow that to happen.

Or perhaps you meant to drag that Safari folder back to ~/Library. But that did not alphabetize the bookmarks; it just left the folders in the same order they had.

Or did you mean something else?

May 15, 2012 8:46 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

Neither one.

Click the Bookmarks icon in the toolbar. User uploaded file

From your Safari menu bar click Bookmarks > Add Bookmark Folder

Drag the links you want bookmarked to that folder then drag that folder to the Desktop then drag it back to the Safari window.

Sorry, I don't understand. What "links" are you talking about dragging to what folder? I already have a couple dozen bookmark folders in the Bookmarks Menu, containing in aggregate perhaps 200 URLs, along with another dozen individual bookmarks not in any folder but just below the bookmark folders.

How rearrange folders in Bookmarks Menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.