Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad/iPhone Emulator/Simulator

I'm sure I speak for MANY people when I say that having access to an iPad/iPhone Emulator/Simulator would be very helpful. Something that I could actually hit the App Store and download apps as needed. Something I could use for training, support, etc. To be candid I'm at a loss for how you can have a device so popular in business and have no mechanism to support it in the enterprise. Are there any plans to create this?

Posted on May 15, 2012 11:51 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2012 1:29 PM in response to seftink

We're just fellow users here and have no idea what Apple might have in mind. You can suggest such a thing here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

There is the simulator that's part of the iOS SDK, but it's limited in what it can actually simulate, as probably any simulator would be lacking the actual hardware, and I don't believe it can run other developers' apps; it certainly can't download them directly.

To be candid I'm at a loss for how you can have a device so popular in business and have no mechanism to support it in the enterprise.

There are lots of tools and mechanisms for supporting iOS in the enterprise. Training, however, is usually best done on the actual device, since no simulator that would run on another system would be anything but a rough approximation. The same applies to support; what would work in a simulator might not work on the actual device and vice-versa.

set a limit on the number of apps that can be installed simultaneously to prevent misuse.

Just turn off the ability for the user to install apps and install them via the Configurator or an MDM. The you don't have to worry about having a limit of any arbitrary number.

Regards.

May 15, 2012 1:51 PM in response to varjak paw

Thank you, and I did. I can appreciate your comments as well, but here's a thought. How do I roll out 1,000 iPads using a certain set of apps and easily train the 1,000 users across the country on how to leverage them? Then how do I manage ongoing training for new hires? It's easy. I leverage WebEx, for example, train my current users, record the sessions, and modify as updates become available.

One problem. I have to rig some method to record myself opening apps, clicking options, etc. Whereas if I had a simulator/emulator, I could show them simultaneously. Training 1,000 users across the country on the actual device is just an unjustifiable waste of time.

iPad/iPhone Emulator/Simulator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.