5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 1:19 PM by Pierre Joris
Pierre Joris Level 1 (5 points)

Trying to open & work with a file in one of my folders I get a message sayign that I don't have "permission to write to the folder that the file ... is in." I have no idea how this "lock" could ahve been set or how to undo it so I can work with my files. A week ago I migrated from my old McBook Pro to a new iMac, but have not had any other such permissions problems.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Just migrated from MacBook Pro
  • Niel Level 10 (298,481 points)

Select it in the Finder, choose Get Info from the File menu, and change the settings under Sharing & Permissions.

(66449)

• Kappy Level 10 (265,883 points)

Select the folder in question. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. In the bottom panel, Sharing & Permissions, take a snapshot of what is displayed - COMMAND-SHIFT-4 and select area with crosshairs. Pic is saved on your Desktop. Use the camera icon in the toolbar above here to upload the image to your reply message.

• Pierre Joris Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks, this worked. Just noticed that a whole number of my folders have been locked in this way (i.e. without my doing anything, switched from 'read & write" to "read" only). Anyway of changing them all back in one fell swoop?

• Niel Level 10 (298,481 points)

Open the Terminal inn the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, type or paste in:

chmod u+rwX

followed by a space, drag all the folders into the Terminal window, and press Enter. To apply this to subfolders, use:

chmod -R u+rwX

(66450)

• Pierre Joris Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks! that worked well too.