Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have no sound when receiving a call through the earpiece.

I have no sound when receiving a call through the earpiece. The caller can hear me and the bottom speakers work fine. I can only hear when using headphones or speaker mode. Have tried restarting, tapping the earphone speaker, blowing into it.. any ideas?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:58 PM

Basic troubleshooting steps clearly outlined in the User Guide are restart, reset, restore from backup and restore as new device.

If you have been through ALL these recommended steps and your problem persists, there's really nothing more you can do. You'll need to bring your phone into Apple for service.

4 replies

May 15, 2012 1:00 PM in response to Donna4444

Update: Have read other discussions on here and it isn't the headphone jack, have checked all volume settings and have not had a bluetooth device paired with it for a good 6 months. Have had the phone for a year and have not dropped or jarred it recently. The problem was there on Sunday am but had used it successfully on the Saturday night. Strange but annoying all the same!

May 17, 2012 7:47 AM in response to Donna4444

I have had the same issue. It's been very recent. It's only happened since I updated to 5.1.1. It isn't all the time either, and the sound worked if I put it on speakerphone. There has only been one instance when it didn't work, it was for about 2 hours straight. I tried a soft and hard reset. Haven't tried a restore yet though, that's my next step. Sound for neither phone calls or voicemails worked - I'm not sure what else uses that speaker that I could test it with.

I did read on these forums that others have had the same problem. It might be a bug.

I have no sound when receiving a call through the earpiece.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.