Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you automatically downsample images in Keynote without cropping?

Hello All,

I am trying to get Keynote to perform what I think is a pretty basic task, but can't figure out how to make it happen. I am an art teacher and frequently show my students slide shows made from a large database of .jpgs I have amassed. Most of the .jpgs were scanned at high resolutions - roughly 2500px on the long edge. They are made at this size to anticipate improvements in projector resolution in the future. The slideshows I make are at XGA (1024x768) because this is the native resolution of the school's projectors.

I want to be able to drop large numbers of slides into a slideshow and have Keynote to automatically downsample them to fit on an XGA slide without cropping the image. I currently have "Reduce placed images to fit on slides" checked in the General Preferences. This does downsample the images, but does so in a way that fills the slide with the image and crops on one dimension depending on the aspect ratio of the image. So for example, with the two Kertesz images below, the top and bottom is cropped off the first one and the sides off of the second one. Keynote scales it down so that the image fills the entire slide rather than scaling down so the entire image can fit on the slide.

FIG 1a

User uploaded file

FIG 2a

User uploaded file

I can then go in and resize the image manually in the metrics tab of the inspector so that the full image is represented in each slide (Fig 1b and 2b below). I have to type in the dimension that is being cropped (768 in Fig 1, 1024 in Fig 2). This further downsamples the image fitting the entire image on the slide which is desired. Doing this for each slide can be burdensome though if I am showing slideshows of 100 or so images. My question is if there is a way to get the results below automatically. I would like to drop multiple images into my slideshow and have it be downsampled so that the entire image fits on the slide. Does anyone know how to make Keynote do this? Thanks.

Fig 1b

User uploaded file

Fig 2b

User uploaded file

Posted on May 15, 2012 1:57 PM

There are no replies.

Can you automatically downsample images in Keynote without cropping?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.