Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't download samples in iBook

I am using iBooks 2.1.1 on my iPad 2 (version 5.1.1). I can download books using iBooks but cannot download samples. When I go to download a sample I get the message "iBooks is required to download this document. You can download iBooks for free from the App Store." I already have iBooks on my iPad and actually got to the iBooks store through iBooks. What's happening? I've tried deleting iBooks from the iPad and reinstalling. Same thing happens.

Thanks.

Nancy

iPad 2, IOS 5

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:51 PM

6 replies

May 15, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Nancy Bley1

Have you checked under Settings\General\Restrictions - In App Purchases - if On, try turning off - if that works, then check the ratings section to see what material restrictions you have in place.

If the samples you refer to are audiovideo samples have you allowed for these in Settings\iBooks

If still experiencing problems it could be a corrupt setting, a reset, or reboot may be required. Try a free downlad of something else first and just ensure that it it is only samples your problem is centred on.

Regards, Ct

May 19, 2012 9:02 AM in response to Nancy Bley1

Scanning this forum, it seems that at least a dozen people have experience this problem. I am one of them.

I tried all the usual approaches to fix this: re-installing iBooks, cold restart of the iPad, resetting and restoring the iPad (very time-consuming) and none of this works.

Here is what you need to try: figure out when the problem first starting happening to you, and then delete any App you have installed since before the problem first appeared. I had the problem start about 4 days ago, so I deleted all the apps I had installed in the past week. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!

Then I started re-installing the Apps, one by one, until the problem came back. In my case, it was just one App, the mere installation of which causes the problem with iBooks on my iPad. The App in this instance is called OnSong, and I downloaded it on May 15 when it was temporarily free at the App store and had just been released with bug fixes.

My opinion is that the problem is not unique to OnSong. There are probably other Apps that can trigger this bug in the iOS. But I think the strategy of removing Apps that were installed at about the time the problem with iBooks sample downloads occurred, is a good approach for anyone with this issue to pursue.

May 19, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Boece

THis sounds helpful but some questions. I have not yet deleted iBooks from iTunes. If I delete from iTunes and therefore it is deleted from all my other devices (ipad and iPhone) will I be able to reinstall iBook and have the books also come back.

Next question, I think it has been a couple of months that I've had this problem and have not had time to think about it until then. If I just delete all or some of the apps I've purchased will I have to repurchase them or just reinstall them, one at a time. Thanks much. This sounds like the next thing to try.

Jun 10, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Boece

I deleted perhaps four PDF apps including Adobe Acrobat Reader. I was immediately able to download Sample books. Adobe Reader is apparently not causing the problem. Several of the PDF apps that I deleted allowed "type on" or "signing". I did not delete any other Apps, so I suggest the PDF apps that allow some time of PDF modification are suspect contributors to the problem. Thanks for the above who focused on the PDF Apps.

can't download samples in iBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.