Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded 5.1.1 onto my ipod touch via wi-fi not through itunes and now when I plug my ipod into my computer is say it is not a recognized usb device AND my sony docking station say it cannot recognize it either.

I downloaded 5.1.1 onto my ipod touch via wi-fi not through itunes and now when I plug my ipod into my computer is say it is not a recognized usb device AND my sony docking station say it cannot recognize it either.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 15, 2012 3:41 PM

4 replies

May 15, 2012 3:45 PM in response to PritySailR

Try herer:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

For dock problem:

- try unplugging and replugging replugging in the dock.

- Reset the iPod. Nothing is lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore the iPod from backup

- Restore the iPod to factory defaults/new iPod

Or it could be that the update broke the compatibility with the dock. Contact Sony.

May 15, 2012 5:05 PM in response to lllaass

I have already done all that- I even removed and then reinstalled the latest version of itunes but when I plug it into the computer is still says "USB device attatched to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." The docking station is the same thing- when I press play on the station it says that the device is not supported (it says this on my ipod). Its really irritating.

Jul 2, 2012 1:52 PM in response to lllaass

Without doubt iOS 5.1.1 is the problem. My son's iPod touch worked fine until i had to do a factory reset (which also updated the iPod to 5.1.1) and since then it will play the first ten seconds of a track through the docking station then stop. The problem is not the docking station, the problem is that Apple released an update without throughly testing it first. It looks like they didnt even bother to tell hardware vendors that this release may affect compatability.

Apple is at fault here, not the makers of the docking station.

lllaass, I appreciate you are just trying to help but with all due respect you need to stop telling people to do a factory reset because it clearly doesnt work and it just wastes peoples time and compounds the frustration.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.