Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb ports on macbook pro not working? plz help

help meeee my usb ports on my macbook pro wont pick up anything i plug into them!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2012 3:40 PM

9 replies

May 15, 2012 3:51 PM in response to Konnerkz

Have you reset the SMC and PRAM?

SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

May 29, 2012 8:33 AM in response to Konnerkz

My wife's Mac pro is doing the same thing when she hooks up our canon camera. She has downloaded 1000's of pictures without problems before and now that message pops up . Also the SD card reader isn't working. When the card is plugged in nothing happens and we can't find the card in iphoto. So now she has no way to get the pictures on iphoto. It's not the cord or the card because I can download them without any problem on my windows computer. I also have seen a bunch of other post about this problem. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2012 8:56 AM in response to BGreg

I am sorry....but I have spent days working on getting my two USB ports to work also. I basically use the USB ports for a wireless mouse and various flashdrives/memory sticks. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 I have tried software update, SMC and PRAM resets, battery reset, hardware test, creating a new user account....and browsing and reading numerous discussion boards.....awgh! I have stopped short of using my install DVD (fear of loosing data), upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion (some fear of loosing an application that might not be compatible), contacting an Apple Store (AppleCare or whatever--live 2 hours away + fear of expense), and of course, trashing the laptop. Does anyone out there have any possible solutions? I see I am not alone. --A frustrated first-time Apple products owner.

Jun 21, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Luuk143

Look at BGreg's answer:

Have you reset the SMC and PRAM?

SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

usb ports on macbook pro not working? plz help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.