Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages will not load in Safari or Chrome

I have an Early 2011 13in MBP. For the last two days, I have had issues with web pages not loading on my MBP. Sometimes I can get a page to load and then after a few minutes of web browsing, the pages will no longer load. I was able to get the issue to "reset" by turning the wifi off and then back on, but now the pages will not load at all.

I tried using Google Chrome and Safari, but both browsers have the same issue. The last time that I used the computer was Friday. I did install a CAC reader on Friday and was able to use the computer that morning, but since yesterday the pages have stopped loading.

Every other device on my home network is working fine. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. By the way, I am not a very experienced MAC user, so you may have to dumb down some of the responses.

Thanks.

Josh

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:19 PM

Please connect to your router with an Ethernet cable, turn Wi-Fi off, and test. Any difference?

6 replies

May 15, 2012 5:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

I connected the ethernet cable and disabled wifi and the pages seem to be loading just fine (for now). They ususally freeze up after a few minutes of browsing.

If they continue to load with the ethernet cable connected, what kind of problem is preventing the wifi connection? I have tried my other MBP and my wife's iPad, with no issues on the wifi network.

Thanks for the quick response.

Josh

May 15, 2012 6:11 PM in response to Josh Patat

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Note: If FileVault is enabled under Mac OS X 10.7 or later, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

May 15, 2012 8:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well...I booted in safe mode and was able to surf the web with no issues using the WiFi connection. I restarted the MBP in normal mode and the problem seems to have gone away. I am not sure why, but now all pages seem to be loading just fine after ten or fifteen minutes of surfing. I will check again in a while and see if it is still good to go.

On another note, I did notice that my IP address changed once I rebooted the machine in safe mode.

Thanks for all of the help. I'll let you know if the problem pops back up.

Josh

Pages will not load in Safari or Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.