Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut support

After editing a sequence together, I exported. I did have to import through Imovie to get the footage to final cut, Anyway I moved all the footage from my hardrive to an external hardrive, later to find out I needed to re-edit something. I brought all the footage back to the internal hardrive and tried to reconnect the media in final cut, but when I try to reconnect offline footage it sais "missing". I assume final cut forgot what clips were edited together because there is no name under the text "media offline" in the viewer. Any ideas on how to reconnect my footage?

Final cut pro 5-OTHER

Posted on May 15, 2012 4:58 PM

2 replies

May 16, 2012 3:23 PM in response to finalcutEnthusiast

Why did you go through iMovie? What format is the video?

Always use the app that you will be editing with to capture or ingest.

Never edit footage from the internal drive, it belongs on an external (see countless threads on the subject here)

If you are going to move footage from one drive to another, you need to be either extremely highly organised and disciplined about your folder structure or use FCP's Media Manager to move it. MM will consolidate your footage to a single folder with a linked project file. It wouldn't have been much help here though as iMovie does not use timecode or work with FCP's concept of Reel Numbers and clip names.

Final Cut support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.