Skip navigation

How do I play DVDs through Apple TV on my HD TV?

58675 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 1:02 AM by jabraham RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Dale H. Eckerman Jr Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 15, 2012 6:31 PM

I need some basic help please.

I own a large collection of movie DVDs. These are conventional pre-recorded DVDs that I purchased in retail stores. I would like to play them on my flat screen HD TV.

If I purchase Apple TV (don't currently own), what additional equipment will I need to be able to play my DVDs through Apple TV?   And, what are my options for physically or wirelessly connecting? 

I have been researching this question, but the answers I find are not clear. Are there some writeups that would explain my options, configurations?

Thank you,

Dale

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (16,625 points)

There is currently no official way to do this.

iTunes cannot rip DVDs as it can CDs to play across your local network.

While there is software out there that can potentially rip DVD and convert to an AppleTV compatible format, this would potentially require circumventing encryption on DVDs on commercial DVDs - as such this could be technically illegal in your country and Apple's T&Cs for the forum therefore prevent discussions of methods of circumventing copy protection, even if for 'fair use' with DVDs you have purchased.

The next Mac OS X version supposedly has Airplay to send computer video to AppleTV but whether it will work on all machines or just new ones (in a similar way to features not always working on older iPhones etc) we do not know.  Also we do not know if things like the DVD player app or certain website content will be precluded from Airplay if the copyright holder disables Airplay functionality in the website markup.

AC

• celliott147 Level 4 Level 4 (1,125 points)

you're best off buying a cheap DVD player. There is software out there (AirParrot) that allows AirPlay mirroring and using the TV/Apple TV as a second monitor, but doing full mirroring with sound has a major lag... Once Mountain Lion is released, AirPlay mirroring will be available at the OS level, but that doesn't guarantee that DVD Player will be able to mirror...

• Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,255 points)
    May 16, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to celliott147)

you're best off buying a cheap DVD player.

Never buy a DVD player that is not multi-region.

If that is the case, your TV should have either a DVI or VGA input on the back. Buy the appropriate adapter (MiniDisplayPort to VGA or DVI) and the corresponding cable, as well as a stereo cable (and possibly a 1/8" to RCA adapter) and you should be good to go...

• dbarron3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 5, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to Alley_Cat)

"...as such this could be technically illegal in your country..."

In the U.S., Fair Use doctrine allows an owner to make copies of DVDs for personal use and/or backup.  It does require "ripping" the DVD - i.e. making an electronic copy of the contents -- then loading that copy into iTunes.  (Telling iTunes where it is located on your hard drive.)  There are both commercial and freeware programs that enable this.

Then you should be able to play the video (now in iTunes) via your Apple TV.

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,670 points)
    Jun 5, 2012 12:41 PM (in response to dbarron3)

Regardless of what you think is legal or not (personally I believe you are incorrect), you agreed to the Apple Terms of Use before using this site. You and everyone here agreed not discuss ways of circumventing copy protection.

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,670 points)

FWIW, I'm not commenting in anyway on an individual's choice to rip DVD's for use on the Apple TV, lots of users do and I have no intention in passing judgement on them. I am however pointing out to the previous poster that whatever our opinions are about the practice, we have all agreed not to discuss the process in doing so.

• Eelangel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think you could try   AirParrot,   the software is supposed to mirror your computer on your apple tv.  Maybe that will work for you.

Jun 25, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to Eelangel)

Maybe it will... or maybe as I pointed out before, Mirroring sound and screen has a pretty bad lag...

• Mazin555 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Download vlc player and the problem will be solved and will play dvds on apple tv

• rwunder328 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to Mazin555)

VLC works like a charm!

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (16,625 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to Mazin555)

Mazin555 wrote:

Download vlc player and the problem will be solved and will play dvds on apple tv

Yes, VLC should work via Airplay on a modern compatible Mac capable of Airplay (or using Airparrot).

AC

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.