Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Notes in iPhone 4S

I keep a number of notes in my iPhone, but when I connect to itunes on my Mac and sync, about 3/4 of the notes (not all of them!) are duplicated on the phone. If I go in manually and delete the duplicates, the next time I sync, they will be duplicated again, appearing in pairs in the Notes listing. The content of the notes will be the same, as are the creation dates. This is crazy. How can I keep this from happening?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:16 PM

24 replies

May 16, 2012 12:50 PM in response to scattermonger

Found the answer here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4191

It says on the page:

Note: If you are using MobileMe and you were previously syncing Notes with iTunes, MobileMe Notes syncing is automatically enabled. This can result in duplicate notes. See below for more information.

Duplicate notes

Syncing Notes both over the air and with iTunes can result in duplicate notes appearing in the Notes application. Use the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Connect your device and select it in iTunes.
  2. Click the Info pane and deselect the option to Sync Notes.
  3. When prompted, select Delete Notes to remove the duplicates from the device.

If you want to sync notes with iTunes instead of using the over-the-air feature, disable Notes sync for the account using Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Mail Account.

Sep 11, 2012 11:26 AM in response to scattermonger

I am not sure this is the same problem, but I am getting duplicate and sometimes triplicate notes on all 3 devices, iphone (5.1.1), ipad, imac (10.8.1). I am using the cloud. There is NO option in iTunes(10.6.3)->device->info regarding Notes, so of course no way to shut it off. Yet, the problem persists. This seemed like it was going to be such a great feature and I have been depending on it a lot before this latest round of "better" software, but it has turned into a huge pain in the ***.

Nov 4, 2012 6:59 PM in response to scattermonger

i'm having this issue. it happens only every so often so i can't figure out what is causing it. the most I can figure out is when I have a note and then make an addition to it then save it. I'll look at it a bit later and there will be two identical notes but only one has the additions that i made to it. so then i just delete the old one. not a huge issue but it's nice when things works flawlessly. anyone have any fixes on this? thanks.

Nov 5, 2012 3:18 PM in response to scattermonger

I just installed PDF Printer app. I have loads of saved Notes that I want to save on iTunes. At first I tried the recommended DropBox. However, easier for me was to take each note I wanted to save to PDF by doing:

1. Select All

2. Copy

3. Open PDF Printer

4. Select the Clipboard in PDF Printer

5. Convert to PDF

6. Name the PDF

7. Select OK

8. Using the arrow on the right & Open in iBooks

9. Do a sync of the iPhone to iTunes, knowing which folder in iBooks is going to hold all of my Sync PDF docs from iBooks.

So far has worked great, as it opens in full 8.5 x 11" PDF in the font choice I used in Notes.

JK

Duplicate Notes in iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.