Skip navigation

iPhone 4S - iTunes Store app freezes when searching for Podcasts

27338 Views 63 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 8:31 PM by BradPDX RSS
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
BradPDX Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 15, 2012 9:56 PM

This has me stumped. I have several Apple devices using my iTunes account, but only my iPhone is giving me grief lately.

iPhone 4S

iOS 5.1.1

iTunes Match is ON for music (does not affect podcasts in theory)

Recipe:

1. Search for podcast I want to download using iTunes store app
  2. Find it and click on name to see episodes
  3. Results screen loads partially, then does nothing. Can see list of episodes, but cannot activate "Download" buttons.
  4. Wait for a few minutes. Wait a lot of minutes. Nothing changes, but network activity indicator is spinning around next to WiFi indicator.
  5. Quit iTunes app
  6. Restart app and it crashes
  7. Lather, rinse, repeat

I usually listen to episodes of the same 5 or 6 podcast series, like most folks. I was able to grab any of them directly from the iPhone before, but in the last few days it simply can't be done.

Clue: I CAN download music. I can pay for it. Just can't get podcasts.

What I've tried:

• Log out and back in to store
  • Turn iTunes Match off and back on
  • Restart iPhone

No joy. Any ideas before I contact Apple support??

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1
  • AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (55,155 points)

Try this...

Sign Out of your account... Close All Open Apps... Perform a Reset and Try again...

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Release the Buttons.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

• zbuck Calculating status...

I have this problem too.  I was actually able to download one podcast (This American Life) but none of the others work.  The app either freezes, or crashes.  If somehow the app does not crash or freeze, the download buttons do not activate, and then after a minute or so it crashes.  I have tried a reset.  I also just downloaded the new iOS. Nothing has changed.

• Random_Tangent Calculating status...

I'm having nearly the same issue. It only affects certain podcasts. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the RSS feeds are resolved.

All of the podcast listings that cause a freeze for me have lots of episodes (75-150+) are being pulled from feedburner instead of directly linking their original feed. That might not mean anything, but it might be the reason why the iTunes app chokes when it displays the info.

In my particular case, it's all Nerdist Industry shows that freeze up (Nerdist Podcast, Indoor Kids, You Made It Weird, etc.). Some of the newer Nerdist Industries shows (with 5-10 episodes) don't freeze up.

• henduck Calculating status...

I'm seeing the same thing... and it does appear to only be podcasts with a large number of episodes.  I first noticed it on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast. 

Looks like this:

http://www.divshare.com/download/17680634-944

[url=http://www.divshare.com/download/17680634-944][img]http://www.divshare.com/img/thumb/17680634-944.PNG[/img][/url]

I can even download them on my laptop and sync to the iPhone... just not working on the iTunes store app on the phone.  (and the "Get More Episodes" trick didn't make any difference for me).

I just started noticing this about 2-3 days ago.

• canadianstarbuck Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

I have the same problem. I search for a podcast ( iPhone live or tii )

and once I selected the podcast it tries to sync for minutes and minutes without results.

Sometimes it freezes. I will investigate more on this.

• rainking08 Calculating status...

I am also having the same problem. Very frustrating.

iOS 5.1.1

• seanfromtwickenham Calculating status...

This is also an issue for me, on top of which the battery life has suddenly started draining in 3-4 hours when on standby!

• mmfranks Calculating status...

I'll add myself to the list of people having this problem.  Not just for podcasts, but for all iTunes Store content.  It is very frustrating indeed.  I started noticing it before I updated to 5.1.1 though.  Before the update it would eventually snap out of it and I could download podcasts and make purchases.  After the update: nothing.

iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4

• robotspacer Calculating status...

I'm having the same issue here. It's not limited to podcasts for me—pretty much anything. On iPad it happens on the search results page or when trying to view an album. On iPhone the search results page loads fine, but albums have the same freezing problem.

Some other things I've noticed:

• It's happening on most, but not all, of our devices. iPad 3, iPhone 4S, and white iPhone 4 all freeze up. But my black iPhone 4 does not. They all have iOS 5.1.1 installed.
    • It's happening on devices logged into different accounts, and logging out hasn't helped. The one device that works fine is using the same account that other devices are using.
    • I've tried turning off Wi-Fi on my phone and changing the DNS settings on my iPad. Neither made a difference.
    • I've tried force-quitting the app, restarting the device, etc.
    • Console logs show nothing related to the problem.

We'll probably have to wait for Apple to fix the problem, though it is odd that some devices, even on the same network, are working fine.

• magoo_mch Calculating status...

I have the same issue with the iTunes App and have also noticed that the battery life has shortened significantly.

iPhone 4 running latest version of iOS.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.