Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What kind of bluetooth dongle(usb) should I get to use my Magic Mouse properly?

My Mac Pro doesn't have bluetooth. What kind of bluetooth dongle(usb) should I get to use my Magic Mouse properly? I already have one, but it makes the mouse seriously lacking.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 16, 2012 12:15 AM

11 replies

May 19, 2012 10:47 AM in response to mikkelcarl

I keep the dongle plugged into the back of my apple 27" monitor so that means it is only 1 to 2 feet away from the mouse. Don't plug it into the mac pro itself if that is at any distance from the mouse. The closer you can keep the dongle to the mouse the better.

Do a smc and pram reset.

If all is lost, and you have xcode installed then you can do a bluetooth factory reset.

Note that if you should sleep your machine, power is off the usb's, so the dongle is off. This means you cannot wake the machine with any BT devices like the mouse (I use a wired keyboard). Also sometimes upon waking the machine the mouse does not immediately re-pair (maybe 20% of the time). So you have to flip its switch to get the system's attention.

While I do have internal BT, using the dongle disables the internal (at least for 2010 mac pro's).

And of course BT would go inactive if you pulled the dongle out! 😉

Mar 8, 2017 12:55 PM in response to PumpkinMan

Just want to second the Kinivo adapter.

I had been using the ioGear one mentioned, but for some reason it stopped working. I think it was when I upgraded from Snow Leopard. So I've been on a wired mouse for a while. I became interested in making Bluetooth work again when I got an iPad Pro and really wanted to use the continuity and airdrop features which use a combination of Bluetooth and WiFi. Glad I found the Kinivo. Just plugged it into my keyboard, and the Magic Mouse paired and the iPad Pro works as desired.

Incidentally, the reason I needed a USB dongle is because Apple's built in Bluetooth does not work properly in my office. My late 2010 Mac Pro is in a place where there is interference.

Here's an old thread detailing that issue: View the full discussion

Hope this helps someone with this frustrating problem.

May 10, 2017 7:44 PM in response to Charles Floading

I would like to 3rd the Kinivo adapter.

Thanks to this forum/thread, I finally have a smoothly working magic mouse. And I'm happy as a clam :-)

Now, to get the new dongle working properly, I had to open the case, disconnect the wire from the motherboard to the bluetooth card. Then, once the Pro was powered back up, I had to plug the magic mouse into a usb port with a lightning cable for the system to recognize the mouse on the new bluetooth radio (which is plugged into my wired (numeric) keyboard). Once I had the mouse working, I could re-pair my magic trackpad also.

Did I mention that I'm happy as a clam. Sooooo, nice. Many thanks to everyone.

May 16, 2012 3:15 AM in response to mikkelcarl

I use a IOGear GBU421 on my mac pro but another popular one is the D-Link DBT-120. But I think just about any one will do.

I do have bluetooth on my 2010 mac pro but the BT notoriously śucks on the mac pros. For example,

Poor Bluetooth reception and jerky mouse

You might want to go through that thread for possible other dongle suggestions since the general solutions to the mac pro BT problem are dongles and replacing the internal BT antenna with an external antenna for those that have built-in BT.

What kind of bluetooth dongle(usb) should I get to use my Magic Mouse properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.