Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

configure ftp in Lion Server?

Hello

With Lion Server Apple killed the FTP Service & GUI to configure the FTP.

In the NET I found plenty of description how to enable to ftp, but I found nothing how to configure the sharepoint anf ftpusers with the command line. Is their any instructions around.

We need to use ftp for some industrial machines wo do not offer SFTP. We tried also the Rumpus FTP Server but this istn't stable enough.

Please help me with some instructions

Regards

Gérard

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8 Gb RAM, 750Gb HD

Posted on May 16, 2012 3:55 AM

12 replies

May 16, 2012 3:07 PM in response to gracoat

Hello

Nice try

I looking only for the FTP Option. Please tell Zeiss Optics to change there machines change from FTP to webdav and then we can discuss this.

Zeiss Optics built this US $ 150'000.- expensive machines only to communicate with FTP or burn CD or write 3.5" floppy disk with the measures.

So please only comments how we can get this native lion ftp running without the need to run Rumpus or other alternative FTP-Server.

Regards

Gérard

May 19, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

If your looking at setting up a solution for a company like Zeiss Optics and are pouring that much money into it, then I'd certainly call enterprise support.

I was digging through the old FTP config files in /etc and in the old ftp root location and find that they've been completely hollowed out. I have a hunch that your going to find a dead end on the native OS X FTP road.

It wasn't my intention to frustrate you with the WebDAV response, however it IS apples intended replacement for FTP.

-Graham

May 19, 2012 4:57 PM in response to Gerard Dirks

What's missing in your post is what's not working.

You say you've found how to start it up, but you haven't said what problems you're experiencing that you're trying to solve.

Independent of whether FTP has a place in a modern OS (and there are many systems beyond Zeiss Optics who have a problem spelling anything more complex than 'F-T-P'...), it would help to know what you're trying to achieve, what you've done to date, and what challenges you're encountering.

For the most part, for LAN-based clients, enabling FTP is little more than creating a user account and enabling the FTP service. The tricks come when you want to restrict certain clients, or when you want access from the internet rather than just from the LAN.

May 20, 2012 12:39 AM in response to Camelot

Hello Camelot

It is very easy what i need

I have one AFP-Sharepoint on the root (e.g. HD/sharepointafp/ )

Within this Directory their should be another sharepoint only for ftp (e.g. HD/sharepointafp/tcp/

This sharepoint is only accessable for the user "tcp" with the password "yxz) (The Zeiss Machine)

The user "tcp" is member of the group "abc", all users of the group "abc" (afp & tcp-users) " should have full control over the folder "tcp" within "sharepoinafp"

so in CLI

1) First make an ACL

dseditgroup -o create -n /Local/Default -u abcadmin com.apple.access_ftp

2) add the user

dseditgroup -o edit -u abcadmin -a tcp com.apple.access_ftp

3) add a group

dseditgroup -o edit -u ladmin -a abc -t group com.apple.access_ftp

4) add the ftp-sharepoint, BUT HOW I CAN DO THIS???

But my question is how to add the folder "tcp" as source of the sharepoint.

On the Zeiss-Machine i am not only able to add any path to the destination, so I need a sharepoint direct to that ftp folder (the entry on the machine is only ftp://172.xx.yy.zzz

Maybe some can explain me how to do this with the CLI, with 10.6.8 OS X Server -Admin it was no problem to make a single fpt-sharepoint

Regards

Gérard

May 21, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

With which command (CLI) can I set that sharepoint?

There is no sharepoint to set. By default each user will automatically connect to their home directory when they log in, so setting the Zeiss user's home directory to this directory should solve the problem.

Will that homedirectory of the user tcp filled with standard folders like (download, desktop, sites, movies etc)

If you choose to have the OS create the user's home directory (e.g. in Workgroup Manager) then yes, otherwise no. Even if it does create these extra directories, there's nothing preventing you from deleting them.

May 21, 2012 10:38 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

Hello

So for me the Apple Solutions 10.7 with CLIis worthless. On the Zeiss Machine I cann't define any path. I need this because the tcp sharepoint is within another afp sharepoint.

With Rumpus I am able to set any folder to ftp-sharepoint (the same as under OS X Server 10.6.8). So with 10.7 it is not possible. Really a pitty

Gérard

any suggestion how to set the how directory of the user "tcp"?

Jun 6, 2012 7:37 PM in response to Gerard Dirks

Their it will only accept it for afp & smb but not for ftp!

No. You are misunderstanding what the GUI is doing.

In the file sharing section of Server Admin you can choose a sharepoint to be used for home directories. This means that the specified user's home directory is on a central file server, rather than local on their machine.

Home directories can be shared via AFP, SMB or NFS

This doesn't have anything to do with FTP.

When a user logs in via FTP, the FTP server looks up that user's home directory, and THAT is what it presents to the user. It doesn't matter whether that home directory is local, on an AFP server, or an NFS server (which is what Server Admin lets you say).

So there's nothing to do in Server Admin regarding identifying a FTP share as a home directory. Just set the FTP server to serve the user's home directory only.

configure ftp in Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.