Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop safari renaming download files

Hi

If I download a hjsplit file (a file split into multiple, consecutive parts .001, .002, .003, etc for recombination by the hjsplit program) safari tries to be clever, and adds a file extension of the file type, so instead of getting 3 files called:

x.001

x.002

x.003

I get something like

x.001.mp3

x.002.mp3

x.003.mp3

Presumably the website tells safari the filetype, but usually a browser allows me to override mime types like this. In firefox files are not renamed (so I know it is theoretically possible), whereas in safai they are, and therefore are no use to the hjsplit program until I manually rename them.

I think this is a webkit thing, since chrome does the same thing, whereas gecko browsers like firefox and camino do not.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 16, 2012 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:18 AM

It sometimes happens when images are dragged to the desktop.

If you control-click and choose 'save image to' or 'save image as' it shouldn't happen.

But this is nothing new!

Safari: Downloaded file's filename may have an additional extension

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24293

That's from June 11, 2007!

Working from my defective memory, this happened to me, but stopped if I unchecked 'Open safe files after downloading' in Safari Preferences/General.

At least I think that's how I stopped it - it hasn't happened since!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2012 6:18 AM in response to Shaun Conn

It sometimes happens when images are dragged to the desktop.

If you control-click and choose 'save image to' or 'save image as' it shouldn't happen.

But this is nothing new!

Safari: Downloaded file's filename may have an additional extension

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24293

That's from June 11, 2007!

Working from my defective memory, this happened to me, but stopped if I unchecked 'Open safe files after downloading' in Safari Preferences/General.

At least I think that's how I stopped it - it hasn't happened since!

May 16, 2012 6:25 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi

These are not images though - if I drag to the desktop, all I get is a link. They are mp3, avi, zip, all sorts. "Save as" still gets suffixed by safari unfortunately (clearly safari thinks it knows better than me!); and save as on dozens of links is a pain anyway....

I already have "Open safe files after loading" unchecked.

I did see that entry ("no longer supported" by apple!) from 5 years ago, was just hoping they'd fixed it...

It's a shame - it's pretty much the only reason I use firefox and camino now :-(

Thanks

How do I stop safari renaming download files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.