Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An app update is not working, but now I can not use the app. What do I do?

I tried to update my sticky notes app, but it would not update. It says installing, but nothing is happening. Now when I try to update any other app, it will not update either, and I cannot use the app any more. What do I need to do?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:50 AM

13 replies

May 16, 2012 7:02 AM in response to Frosty0_10

Make sure you're connected to WiFi, and find your stick note app with the installing icon. If you tap on it the download should pause allowing the other apps to start the download process. Every now and then (Doesn't happen often) an app seems to not want to download the update (Not sure if servers are busy or if it's some other difficulty). To continue the update (App should say paused now) just tap it to resume install. Hope this helps.

Other alternative is the good old fashion reboot (Hold Home & Power until Apple sign shows back up). Then try the update again.

May 16, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Frosty0_10

Go to Store>Check for Available downloads. You will have to enter your password and if there are updates available for your apps, you can download them in there. Then you can sync the iPad to get the apps onto the device.

However, if you can't get the apps to download on the iPad .....

Check iTunes and see if you have a pending or stalled download in there. If you do, finish that download or delete it if you can. If you can't finish or delete the download on the iPad, do it in iTunes on your computer and then sync the iPad. Then go back to the apps and see I'd they will download.

If that doesn't work or if that was not the problem, go to Settings>Store >Apple ID, tap your ID and sign out. Then reboot the iPad, Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Then go back to Settings>Store>Sign in and sign in again and see if the apps will update.

May 16, 2012 9:34 AM in response to Frosty0_10

Just by hearing that you are getting the same issue with other apps and they are stating that they are waiting, sounds like you are having issues with something pending and the rest waiting. I had this before and couldn't seem to find which one it was and was able to get them going again by double clicking the icon that I wanted to get started on and it started downloading that app and as soon as it was finished with that one it moved on. Going back through the list and the rest then continued and it all got finished and now I have no problems so going back through the list must have restarted the one that was stuck.

May 16, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Frosty0_10

Obviously, we don't know why they will not update either.

The tips about signing out of your account and checking in iTunes seem to work so often and when they don't, I just don't know what else to suggest.

I know that you have tried all of this stuff, but keep trying restarting, or resetting the iPad over the next couple of days and see if you can't get the apps to update. I don't mean constantly, but just try again a couple of times a day and maybe it will reset your connection to the iTunes store.

An app update is not working, but now I can not use the app. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.