13 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 9:38 AM by Demo
Frosty0_10 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried to update my sticky notes app, but it would not update.  It says installing, but nothing is happening.  Now when I try to update any other app, it will not update either, and I cannot use the app any more.  What do I need to do?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 5.1.1
  • Diavonex Level 9 (66,550 points)

Do you have any stalled download like Podcast, Books or Movies? They can affect your updates.

• Frosty0_10 Level 1 (0 points)

I do not think I have any stalled downloads, but how would I check that?

Did you download or try to download any Podcast, Books or Movies lately?

• bedardjr8 Level 1 (105 points)

Make sure you're connected to WiFi, and find your stick note app with the installing icon.  If you tap on it the download should pause allowing the other apps to start the download process.  Every now and then (Doesn't happen often) an app seems to not want to download the update (Not sure if servers are busy or if it's some other difficulty). To continue the update (App should say paused now) just tap it to resume install.  Hope this helps. 

Other alternative is the good old fashion reboot (Hold Home & Power until Apple sign shows back up).  Then try the update again.

I did download a book, but it seems to be complete.  My wifi connection is working fine, and I can still use all other apps unless I try to update and then they are not available to me.  I restarted both the update program and my iPad with no change.

Try updating the App via iTune and sync it to the iPad.

How do I update an app in iTunes?

• Demo Level 10 (88,916 points)

Go to Store>Check for Available downloads. You will have to enter your password and if there are updates available for your apps, you can download them in there. Then you can sync the iPad to get the apps onto the device.

However, if you can't get the apps to download on the iPad .....

Check iTunes and see if you have a pending or stalled download in there. If you do, finish that download or delete it if you can. If you can't finish or delete the download on the iPad, do it in iTunes on your computer and then sync the iPad. Then go back to the apps and see I'd they will download.

If that doesn't work or if that was not the problem, go to Settings>Store >Apple ID, tap your ID and sign out. Then reboot the iPad, Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Then go back to Settings>Store>Sign in and sign in again and see if the apps will update.

This did not work, so deleted the app that I seems to be stuck using iTunes on my computer and synced.  But the app still seems to be on my iPad.  It says waiting, and I can tap it to pause it, but I can not get rid of it.

Did you try tapping and holding down on the icon and see if the X pops up to delete the waiting icon?

Yes, I was able to delete app in this way, but my other apps still do not update.  So that app was no the problem, but I have no idea why it will not do updates.

• ZintainUSA Level 3 (960 points)

Just by hearing that you are getting the same issue with other apps and they are stating that they are waiting, sounds like you are having issues with something pending and the rest waiting.  I had this before and couldn't seem to find which one it was and was able to get them going again by double clicking the icon that I wanted to get started on and it started downloading that app and as soon as it was finished with that one it moved on.  Going back through the list and the rest then continued and it all got finished and now I have no problems so going back through the list must have restarted the one that was stuck.

Obviously, we don't know why they will not update either.

The tips about signing out of your account and checking in iTunes seem to work so often and when they don't, I just don't know what else to suggest.

I know that you have tried all of this stuff, but keep trying restarting, or resetting the iPad over the next couple of days and see if you can't get the apps to update. I don't mean constantly, but just try again a couple of times a day and maybe it will reset your connection to the iTunes store.