Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone having fraying power cord issues ?

The regular iphone, ipad, itouch chargers are fraying - I have a lot of cords and chargers because we have 3 itouches 2 ipads and 4 iphones but the power cords are fraying and I dont think it is safe anyone else finding this? will they replace them? I'm a good customer obviously and these cords are really bad quality if they are fraying like this.

power cords-OTHER

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:58 AM

5 replies

Aug 17, 2012 4:58 PM in response to applehous

I also have this issue - i bought an aftermarket cord on ebay that gets abused (car-travel-car-etc) that's holding up well. My official apple cord that just stays by my bedside is totally frayed at the base where the phone plugs in. It also has some brownish hue near it - like the cord almost caught fire or severely overheated?

Not thrilled with the quality and was thinking of going to the apple store about a replacement warranty for defective goods.... although I got the phone thru an ATT wireless dealer . . . but the phone itself was shipped directly to me so who is the right one to approach?

Sep 8, 2013 10:42 AM in response to applehous

I have had several replaced under warrantee since they started making the safemag breakway, on several Mac laptops, pretty much no questions asked. Last week however i was in an Apple store for another problem, and thot to replace the lastest frayed cord. The Apple tech at the store said, "user damage" and not warrantee covered.

I was appalled. In the first place, this is an obvious design problem that everyone who reads the internet and cares, knows about. 2nd this was a first. 3rd and more troubling, exactly what would i be accused of doing? Chewing on my cord??? My dog? But i dont have a dog.

My guess is that Apple engineers have not been able to solve the design problem, and it is costing $$. I hope it is not a new policy. I think the tech was an exception.

I dont see why an obvious interim solution is not taken, make the low voltage part of the cord easily replaceble like the 120v side. This would cut the warrantee cost to a fraction.

I have always respected and appreciated Apple's solid warrantees and respect for its customers. I am confident the company will continue this approach, and i will be willing to pay a premium.

Anyone having fraying power cord issues ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.