Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

locate iphone

find iphone

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:18 AM

11 replies

May 16, 2012 8:40 AM in response to crazzdiamond1

If you did not turn on the Find My iPHone service (settings>iCloud), then you won't be able to track the phone. If you did turn it on, then using a computer and log into icloud.com, go to the Find My iPhone page and see if it is tracking. However, if a person found it and turned off the phone or pulled the sim card out, you won't be able to find it.

Jan 22, 2013 4:48 AM in response to crazzdiamond1

I Have lost my iPhone on a night out, so I think my phone could be located maybe 10 miles away from where I live, would find my iPhone work with this kind of distance, also now when I call it it actually rang once then made a sound like it was engaged, this phone is used for my business so if people try to call me a I need it to go to my voice message. At first it didn't even do anything when I called it so I am assuming now that someone is trying to see if they can use it or sell on ect as it seems they may of charged it up now the ring tone has changed, please help me

Feb 20, 2013 4:37 PM in response to crazzdiamond1

For those who are confused about how "Find My iPhone" works, check out this quick video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcoZmqGuOg

In summary, the following is required for your to track your iPhone:

- Location services turned on (as well as "Find My iPHone" location services) - "Settings" -> "Location Services" or "Settings" -> "Privacy" -> "Location Services" on iOS 6

- "Find My iPhone" must be On in "Settings" -> "iCloud"

- iPhone must be connected to the internet either via wifi or data

Feb 3, 2014 3:55 AM in response to crazzdiamond1

Hi All,

I do not know if apple has thought about this and if yes, why they did not do it?

"Find my Iphone" does not work if the phone is turned-off? Therefore, WHY NOT ADD TO THE SETTINGs WHERE ONE CAN CHOOSE TO HAVE A LOCK PASSWORD TO TURN-OFF THE PHONE? THIS WOULD PREVENT THE ROBBERS TO TURN THE PHONE OF UNTIL THE BATTERY LIVES. This would give us more time to track the device and try to get it back.

I forgot my phone in the taxi and the guy who picked it up, of course, turned it off so that I could not track it anymore. What do you think?

locate iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.