Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update won't connect

When I read about the 10.7.4 update I went to software update and clicked on check for updates. I got a dialog saying:Failed to check for updates. There was a problem communicating with the web proxy server (HTTP).

I went to the Apple site and downloaded the 10.7.4 combo update and installed it in the hopes that it would replace whatever had suddenly messed up the software update function; no luck.

I have done cold restarts and repaired permissions but these steps haven't fixed the problem. All the other internet works as expected except that a widget, Maintidget, will no longer accept my system password or check for updates. Has something perhaps blocked a port used to check for updates that is different than that used by Mail and Firefox?

I may have to do my updates manually until Mountain Lion in the hopes it will repair whatever has been corrupted.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:48 AM

Select  ▹ System Preferences ▹ Network ▹ Advanced ▹ Proxies. If any proxies are selected, deselect them, apply your changes, and try again. You must apply the changes before they take effect. You don’t need to disable passive FTP mode.

2 replies

software update won't connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.