Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tcp ports not staying open in OS X 10.6 Server

I have an Xserver running Snow Leopard Server that will not keep ports open to allow Backup Exec 2012 to perform a backup. I need port 10000 and a range of ports to be open and to remain open. I was able to open 10000, but it closed after about 20 minutes and the backup failed. I have shut off the firewall as I am behind a good one and only need to communicate internally in this case. Any ideas?

Xserver-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 16, 2012 1:13 PM

2 replies

May 16, 2012 3:10 PM in response to Guy B.

Do you have evidence that the 10.6 server firewall is somehow reactivating or reconfiguring itself? (That would be unusual.)

This behaviour could very easily be a result of the Backup Exec 2012 package timing out and exiting, or otherwise falling over with an error, for instance.

Did the TCP port close, or did the network hit an error or an intermediate router or firewall trigger this?

What's the network topology between the source of the backup (backup client) and the Xserve server box?

Check the logs. For the firewall. For the Backup Exec 2012 package. For something else.

Check the patch level for OS X Server (your footer lists 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 is current), and see if there's an update for the backup package, too.

Consider calling Symantec support for assistance, too.

tcp ports not staying open in OS X 10.6 Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.