Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash going into negative?

Hi,

Time Machine told me I had to erase the files on my external hard drive and I had to put them in trash, so, I did and it is deleting 55,000 files (Old Time Machine backup) and now it's going into negative numbers?!

What's happening?

Is there another way I can delete the back up?

MacBook Air (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Running Lion

Posted on May 16, 2012 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2012 2:19 PM

It is advised that you keep Time Machine backups on a dedicated partition. This is so in the event you want to erase the file(s), it is a simple task of re-formatting that particular drive partition.

If you don't do this, the fastest way may mean moving or copying the other, non-Time Machine files to another partition (at least temporarily), then reformattting the drive partition with the Time Machine files.

Yes, I have been down this road. It is one heck of a pain to erase TM backup files. It must be a/the reason Apple says to NOT use Finder to manage Time Machine backup files.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2012 2:19 PM in response to MacBookDylan

It is advised that you keep Time Machine backups on a dedicated partition. This is so in the event you want to erase the file(s), it is a simple task of re-formatting that particular drive partition.

If you don't do this, the fastest way may mean moving or copying the other, non-Time Machine files to another partition (at least temporarily), then reformattting the drive partition with the Time Machine files.

Yes, I have been down this road. It is one heck of a pain to erase TM backup files. It must be a/the reason Apple says to NOT use Finder to manage Time Machine backup files.

Trash going into negative?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.