7 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 2:57 PM by RUNrOut
RUNrOut Level 1 Level 1
I have an AirPort Extreme, Version 7.6.1  I need to limit access of a computer that's plugged by usb directly into the router.  I have the MAC address for this computer and have had restrictions on it the in the past, but it was connected by WiFi then.  How do I do this?  Do I limit access to the Ethernet ID?  I don't want to lock myself out trying to figure it out; I did that last night.  Can someone advise please.

Lenovo ThinkPad , Windows 7
Solved by John Galt on May 18, 2012 10:03 PM Solved

You could use OpenDNS's parental controls:

http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls

It can restrict access according to your specifications for everyone on your network.

Screen Shot 2012-05-19 at 1.02.29 AM.png

It's free.

Reply by HACKINT0SH on May 17, 2012 12:50 PM Helpful

The ACLs only restrict MacAddresses for WiFi connections. They totally ignore Ethernet because it's assumed no outside hacker is directly hard-wired into your router.

It looks like you will have to look elsewhere than the standard AirPort utility to do what you want to do.

Reply by HACKINT0SH on May 18, 2012 9:58 PM Helpful

Ok so if I get it.. the only real problem is that your guests may end up visiting a ***** site, and you don't want to get into trouble if their parents find out, right?

I guess turning on parental controls isn't going to do a **** thing.... with their own devices and all.   Anything I can think of here is always going to have some way around it...

All replies