Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you not scan with the Canon Pixma MX350 over Wi-FI?

Trying to scan a sheet to my MacBook Air running Lion, but whenever I open the scanner from the System Preferences, it just stays like this and nothing happens.

User uploaded file

Reading around, it appears that you can't use the MX350 scanner over Wi-Fi using Lion. It works perfectly on my iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but unfortunately I can't use that right now. I've tried inserting a USB stick formatted with Mac OS (Journaled) and it doesn't want to do anything, I've tried installing multiple scanner drivers from the Canon website, I've also tried to do a software update.

I'm running Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4 and have a Netgear router supplied by Virgin Media. It prints perfectly fine from the MacBook Air.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2011, 11", 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB

Posted on May 16, 2012 4:16 PM

7 replies

May 16, 2012 4:48 PM in response to Siderz

Siderz wrote:

Reading around, it appears that you can't use the MX350 scanner over Wi-Fi using Lion.

I've not seen any reports saying that scanning via wifi is not possible on Lion. Was what you read just for the MX350? I use wifi with my Canon MP990 and MG6250 to my 10.7.4 MacBook Pro and it works fine.

As for the USB stick, I don't think the Canon would support Mac OS (Journaled). I would expect FAT and possibly NTFS as the supported formats.

As for the scanner drivers, there are two. There is the ICA driver which is scanning into Image Capture (which Preview uses). And there is the full TWAIN scanner driver from Canon, which you need for MP Navigator and TWAIN based applications like Acrobat Pro. Have you tried MP Navigator?

May 16, 2012 5:20 PM in response to Siderz

The posting link is a known issue with the Airport devices and their USB port. If you have an AIO connected to the USB port of an Airport router you cannot use the scanner component of the AIO. This is due to a limitation of the USB port on the Airport device. But if you are using wireless to connect to the Airport, then there is no issue.

With regards to the driver links on Canon UK, the first one if the ICA driver update and this is for scanning into Image Capture. The second link is the full scanner driver and as mentioned, this is for Canon's MP Navigator application. And with regards to MP Navigator, you do have to register the MX350 for network scanning before you can use it. Via Finder, if you open Applications > Canon Utilities > IJ Network Scan Selector and open this utility, you should see the MX350 in the list. Ensure it is selected, as opposed to Do Not Use, and OK the change. Then open MP Navigator and click the Preferences button. Under the General tab ensure the "MX350 series Network" is selected in the Product Name section. Now see if this will let you scan.

May 17, 2012 4:34 AM in response to Siderz

Seems unusual that you would have the Canon Utilities folder but nothing inside. Note that it would only be present from running the full scanner driver (the second driver link you show). The ICA driver does not create this folder. It could indicate that the installer for the full scanner driver failed to complete correctly. You could check the Console install log for any reference to this failure. Also try running the full scanner driver installer again to see if this creates the IJ Network Scan Selector folder.

Can you not scan with the Canon Pixma MX350 over Wi-FI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.