Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert dbx files to mac

I recently bought an iMac and organised a data transfer from my old pc. The team didn't transfer the dbx files from my pc as requested. My old pc is dead now but I have the dbx files from OE on a CDROM. I need access to these files - how can I do this with my iMac? Hope I don't have to trail back to the store with the iMac! Thank you all.

iMac

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2012 12:54 PM

not knowing what created the files, I'm guessing MS office, you could try OpenOffice or NeoOffice and see if either one of those will open the files

John b

9 replies

May 17, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Johnb-one

Thank you John for your advice. Since posting the last message I purchased a license for software that converts dbx files (created by outlook express) to .mbox files that are apparently used by mac mail. I,m just in the process of the conversion - which is taking a lifetime because of the number of files). Then I 'm supposed to import the .mbox file onto mac mail and I'm assured that mac ail can read these - we'll see! Have tried the demo version and although I could see the files in the import folder in mac mail still couldn't open them - I presumed this was because they were just demo style?! Anyway it's going to be a late night and I'll post tomorrow if successful - someone else might benefit.

If that doesn't work - could you tell me where I find 'open office'?

And last resort - I've arranged an another appointment with the Liverpool Apple store to get them to do what they should have done in the first place - a pain trailing back with the iMac.

Thank you for taking time yourself!

May 17, 2012 8:42 PM in response to Fleurissime

thanks Fleuissime--I'd say your on the right track. Apparently this isn't as easy as one might think. Thanks for helping me out on what created a .dbx file (I was thinkin' of the electronics company when I heard that name). And yeah, it'll take a while. I think it's openoffice.org, but not too sure on that. All's I know is that it works fine and it's hard to beat that price...

well thanks

John B

May 18, 2012 4:30 AM in response to Johnb-one

YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!

I bought the '.dbx to mac mail' converter yesterday from SoftSpire (about $50!) but I did the conversion over night (took ages) saved the file onto my desktop and transfered it to a usb drive this morning. Imported it onto th IMAC just now and there they were - all the files from my husband's old Outlook Express. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Straightforward, simple, easy to follow instructions from SoftSpire.

P.S. Don't be fooled - when you open the 'Import' file in macmail - you need to click on the little arrows next to the main file names to see each of the inclkuded messages - that was probably obvious to anyone but me - I thought they were all blank!

Thank you John for taking an interest in my hour of need. Hope this helps someone else.

Feb 10, 2013 1:22 PM in response to Fleurissime

I have about 20 gigs of emails- over 20,000 messages- in 20 Windows XP Outlook Express email folders I'll want on a Mac Mini I plan to buy. I'm bothered that you say "The team didn't transfer the .dbx files from myPC as requested."... and you had to buy extra software for $50 to do this...

If the Apple FAQ link http://www.apple.com/why-mac/faq/#move is to be believed, with Apple one to one, they'll transfer my files for me.

Did you pay for the apple one to one and they didn't actually transfer your complete Outlook Express email folders for you?

It seems to me transferring email files - even tens of thousands of them- is a reasonable request and shouldn't be such a big problem. But it seems like their website beats around the bush when I search this- they mention using an "Ethernet cable" like it's as simple as plugging in a magical USB cable from my old PC to the new Mac mini - without needing a network hub...

Why shoud it be so much trouble just to find out how to transfer email files?

I appreciate any insight you can give me. I'm worn out with buyer's remorse from the last couple of new Windows computers I bought and what to avoid it with a new Mac mini.

Feb 11, 2013 2:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Will my 20 gigs of emails- over 20,000 messages- in 20 Windows XP in Outlook Express .dbx format work after I transport and get them into Apple mail program? Or will it be impractical for some reason?

The apple website https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/email-converter/id422322450?mt=12 shows an email converter, but the link to the App store just leads to main app store page.

The reviews are scary for the program Fleurissime used... on this CNet review of SoftSpire http://download.cnet.com/SoftSpire-EML-to-PST-Converter/3000-2369_4-12486381.htm l

What's the best dbx converter program?

Thanks again,

-Ned

Convert dbx files to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.