1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 1:37 AM by phifly
phifly Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am trying to submit a film for compressor.

Ive had two problems. Firstly although I selected my external hard drive as the source, it seems to be writing information to my internal hard drive.

So i abandoned that, i dont have anough internal memory to sore the any tens of gigs this projec takes.

Having abandoned the first try I now see Compressor saying "Unable to Submit to Queue -  Please restart your computeer or verufiy your Compression Installaions Is Correct"

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problem with Compressor
    Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (14,270 points)

Could you post a screen shot of the batch pane and a screen shot of the summary pane in the inspector?  In other words, what they look like prior to submitting.

Rus

• 2. Re: Problem with Compressor

Picture 36.png

• 3. Re: Problem with Compressor

Picture 37.png

Hope this is what you need, thanks

• 4. Re: Problem with Compressor

Yes. That was what I was looking for. I can see your source is a QT file, which must be pretty big…what is the video codec and where is that source file stored? How is your D drive connected and is it formatted OS Extended?

Russ

• 5. Re: Problem with Compressor

The source file is the extrenal drive which has 558 gb avilable. Its connected to the Mac via a USB and  its MAC OS Extended Journaled. I using Apple Prores 422.

• 6. Re: Problem with Compressor

Your USB drive is killing you (actually Compressor)…unless it's a USB3.

You need a Firewire drive to move those Pro Res files.

Russ

• 7. Re: Problem with Compressor

HI Thanks for that. I tried to transfer the file to a USB3 hard drive but it didnt work. So Now Im re exporting the film to Quicktime with the USB3 hard drive but its giving me a different problem. Its eating into my internal hard drive memory even though Ive set the film to save to the external USB3 hard drive. After about a day of exporting my internal hard drive memory was gone and it gave up on me. Any ideas?

• 8. Re: Problem with Compressor

Possibly your source files are being copied to a cluster on your boot drive. Try changing perferences to Never Copy.

What are the rest of your system specs…the Mac that Compressor is installed on…and how much available HD space do you have?

Russ

• 9. Re: Problem with Compressor

Thanks Russ, but where do i find this:"Try changing perferences to Never Copy."?

Also I have a new verison of the film now on external hard drve which is USB3 and Im still getting exactly the same warning message when I try and compress it.

I had a version of the film which was only 2 gb . i tried to upload it to youtube. The audio was fine when I watched it on my mac and filled with a hiss when it was on youtube. Do you think compressing it will deal with this. im wodndering if youtube cant handle 2gb and his is a conseqeunce of that?

• 10. Re: Problem with Compressor

In the menu toolbar, Compressor>Preferences>Cluster Options.

Russ

• 11. Re: Problem with Compressor

Thanks for that, Im also getting the same issue for FCP before  Compressing, is there a similar setting there or is that not your thing?

• 12. Re: Problem with Compressor

Well, if you're talking about FPCX, there are a couple of choices that can make a difference.

In Preferences, Import>Organizing you have a choice of copying to Events folder or not. I don't because I want to have control over the process – when what and where copies are made. (If you import from a camera, however, it will automatically make copies…which is desirable). So we're really talking about whether to copy files already on your HD. (I don't use FCPX to import from the camera, but that's just me holding on to some legacy work flow.)

Under Transcode, you have the choice to create optimized (Pro Res) or Proxy (Pro Res Proxy). I prefer to leave those unchecked because I'm often going to use only a small fraction of what I import and I don't want to create a lot of big files that I'm later going to have to prune. After I figure out roughly what I need then I do any transcoding from the Events browser. 

You also have these Organizing/Transcoding choices when you create a new event; when you do, a dialogue box pops up.

Something else to pay attention to is your render files…which may or may not be on your boot drive. They can accumulate rapidly butcan be managed either from within FCPX or in the finder.

Russ

• 13. Re: Problem with Compressor

Thanks for that but still having the same problem with Compressor and am now using USB3 any ideas?

• 14. Re: Problem with Compressor

Please give a detailed description of your entire system…hardware: including model identifier, CPU, RAM, HD capacity used remaining, make, model, capacity and available space of your external drive. Software: your OS and versions of Compressor and FCPX plus  any third paarty apps or plug-ins that are A/V related.

Russ

1 2 Previous Next