Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In mail, my attachments, both photos and documents appear in the body of the message. How can I get my attachments to appear as a separate attachment and not as part of the message. Thanks for your help, Karen.

In mail, my attachments, both photos and documents, appear in the body of the message. How can I get my attachments to appear as a separate attachment and not as part of the main message???? Thanks for your help, Karen.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 17, 2012 2:56 AM

16 replies

May 17, 2012 3:15 AM in response to karenmaelarsen

It is possible using a Terminal command.

1. Close "Mail"

2. Open "Terminal"

3. Enter the following command:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -boolean YES

4. Close Terminal and start Mail

5. Now all attachments are shown as symbols.

If you want to change it back enter in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -boolean NO

May 17, 2012 8:36 PM in response to etresoft

...and costs $14.99

As Don already pointed out, exactly what the recipient sees will depend on how they've set up their machine and what unnecessary 3rd party apps they might've installed to display attachments the way they want.

If I were you, I'd use the free solutions provided above, save my money and let my recipients decide how they will handle their mail.

That's just me tho... 😉

May 18, 2012 11:16 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

...and costs $14.99

Yep! And if you absolutely need (or think you need) that functionality, it is worth every penny.

As Don already pointed out, exactly what the recipient sees will depend on how they've set up their machine and what unnecessary 3rd party apps they might've installed to display attachments the way they want.

In theory, that is true. In practice, Attachment Tamer will cause more of your messages to show up as plain-jane icons on the other end. The problem is, after all, people running Outlook 2003 and 2007. These people likely aren't doing many system modifications.

If I were you, I'd use the free solutions provided above, save my money and let my recipients decide how they will handle their mail.

I completely agree.

May 18, 2012 7:51 PM in response to etresoft

Don,

I double checked and there really is no choice that says 'View as Icon' when I control click on the attachment icon in the New Message window.

scpa,

I found terminal and pasted the command, hit return. Both photos and documents still appear as thumbnails in the main message. I then went back to terminal and found that the command I pasted had disappeared. I tried several times, and the command disappears when I leave terminal.

Any ideas of what to do next???? Thanks for taking the time to help me everyone!

May 18, 2012 10:47 PM in response to karenmaelarsen

karenmaelarsen wrote:

Don,

I double checked and there really is no choice that says 'View as Icon' when I control click on the attachment icon in the New Message window.

If the attachment is already appearing as an icon in the body of the message, then that's all that can be done in this regard. The menu that's displayed when you Control-click on that icon should then display an item "View in place". The choice of "View as icon" would replace that choice if the attachment is shown naturally as opposed to being shown as an icon.

However, if you are Control-clicking the attachment icon in the toolbar of the New Message window, that's the wrong place to click. First attach the attachment, then Control-click the attachment itself as displayed in the New Message window.

May 19, 2012 12:03 AM in response to karenmaelarsen

It should look like in the picture below:

User uploaded file

Just to be sure I tried it myself and it works as advertised and I see no reason, why it would not work on your Mac. Did you close Mail before and restart Mail after pasting the command?

Btw: it's normal behaviour when you leave or close the Terminal application and reopen it that previous commands "disappeared". But they are still in effect.

In mail, my attachments, both photos and documents appear in the body of the message. How can I get my attachments to appear as a separate attachment and not as part of the message. Thanks for your help, Karen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.