Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cpu gets very hot while using VM Ware Fusion image

I use VM Ware Fusion on my Mac Book Pro.

When I start up an image with Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008R2, my cpu gets very hot.

Temperature can go up to 90 degrees celsius for a brief moment, but usually i stays stable around 60 degrees celsius.

I also use smFanControl, to make sure my fans are cooling a bit harder when I use VM Ware Fusion.

I have the next questions:

1. Is the temparature rise normal?
  2. Can it harm my laptop (cpu)?
  3. Can smFancontrol damage my fans, while running harder for about 8 hours like that?
  4. Or is ther something wrong with my Mac, because during temerature rise to for instance 90 degrees, the cpu is used for like 30-40 percent?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Harddisc has now tree partitions

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2012 7:07 AM

GJSmit wrote:

When I start up an image with Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008R2, my cpu gets very hot.

You are using two operating systems and at least two programs at the same time, it's going to get hot, but likely it's because you have a 13" which has no dedicated graphics, the CPU is doing it all.

Also your running Lion which is a pig and VMFusion 4 which is also a pig.

Is the temparature rise normal?

Yes

Can it harm my laptop (cpu)? -

No, it will shutdown automatically.

Can smFancontrol damage my fans, while running harder for about 8 hours like that?

No, just wear out your fans sooner, they can be replaced.

Or is ther something wrong with my Mac, because during temerature rise to for instance 90 degrees, the cpu is used for like 30-40 percent?

I don't think there is a problem, your talking ºF and not ºC right? ºF is no problem.

90º C is a problem, but it's likely because you have the 13" or a older MBP and it can't handle it.

90º C is very close to shutdown, just a few more degree's and your machine will conk out, so I hear.

You might need to change the Win VM settings, one core, 1GB of RAM and restart the guest, that might work.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2012 7:07 AM in response to GJSmit

GJSmit wrote:

You are using two operating systems and at least two programs at the same time, it's going to get hot, but likely it's because you have a 13" which has no dedicated graphics, the CPU is doing it all.

Also your running Lion which is a pig and VMFusion 4 which is also a pig.

Is the temparature rise normal?

Yes

Can it harm my laptop (cpu)? -

No, it will shutdown automatically.

Can smFancontrol damage my fans, while running harder for about 8 hours like that?

No, just wear out your fans sooner, they can be replaced.

Or is ther something wrong with my Mac, because during temerature rise to for instance 90 degrees, the cpu is used for like 30-40 percent?

I don't think there is a problem, your talking ºF and not ºC right? ºF is no problem.

90º C is a problem, but it's likely because you have the 13" or a older MBP and it can't handle it.

90º C is very close to shutdown, just a few more degree's and your machine will conk out, so I hear.

You might need to change the Win VM settings, one core, 1GB of RAM and restart the guest, that might work.

May 17, 2012 9:04 AM in response to GJSmit

Temperature can go up to 90 degrees celsius for a brief moment

I'm not sure I would see this as an issue... at least with respect to the amount of info provided. Certainly if both OS X and the virtual machine are working on highly demanding tasks simultaneously, I wouldn't see "peaking" at 90 C as in issue. If you put a heavy load on fairly quickly, the temp can rise fast and it may peak a litle higher before the fans kick in full speed to bring it down. I would be concerned about sustained temps in this range, but that does not seem to be what you are experiencing. Stable around 60 C seeems pretty normal. Although, it's not clear if you mean once everything has settled down with your VM running, it runs at about 60 C... or you mean your system idles at 60 C (with nothing running... i.e. no VM running). 60 C is a little high for an idle temp, but quite fine if you have a VM running.

May 17, 2012 9:42 AM in response to GJSmit

I've got iTunes in Windows VM and iTunes in OS X both running visuals and one playing music while I type this in Firefox in OS X and my temps are around 70º C with a spike up to 87º C but it came down a bit.

So 60º C would be fine, also the spike up to 90º C is just fine.

I can push my system more with the dedicated graphics.

I'd say your about normal 🙂

May 17, 2012 9:58 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

Well ideed i am talking about temparature in degrees Celsiua, so pretty hot.

Also I have a 15" Mac Book Pro.

I going to change my VM settings and see if that works.

I think it runs on 4-8 cores now.

May 17, 2012 9:56 AM in response to JoeyR

JoeyR wrote:

Temperature can go up to 90 degrees celsius for a brief moment

I'm not sure I would see this as an issue... at least with respect to the amount of info provided. Certainly if both OS X and the virtual machine are working on highly demanding tasks simultaneously, I wouldn't see "peaking" at 90 C as in issue. If you put a heavy load on fairly quickly, the temp can rise fast and it may peak a litle higher before the fans kick in full speed to bring it down. I would be concerned about sustained temps in this range, but that does not seem to be what you are experiencing. Stable around 60 C seeems pretty normal. Although, it's not clear if you mean once everything has settled down with your VM running, it runs at about 60 C... or you mean your system idles at 60 C (with nothing running... i.e. no VM running). 60 C is a little high for an idle temp, but quite fine if you have a VM running.

Thanks for your answer!

Indeed its stable at 60 C when running VM whith highly demanding apps like VStudio and IIS etc.

Also when its idle its around 40-50 C.

May 17, 2012 9:58 AM in response to GJSmit

GJSmit wrote:

Also I have a 15" Mac Book Pro.

Dedicated graphics, turn on "higher performance" in Energy Saver when on power, that will help keep the temps down as the two sources of heat are seperated

I going to change my VM settings and see if that works.

I think it runs on 4-8 cores now.

Yea that's a problem if you've got Windows using too many cores and RAM

I'd do 1/1 and then bump it up a littile, but I'd advise not more than 50% of what you have.

If you want more performance you simply have to direct install into BootCamp

May 17, 2012 10:05 AM in response to GJSmit

GJSmit wrote:

But what can I do with dedicated graphics?

Dedicated graphics are more powerful than the CPU graphics that all Intel processors now have.

Because you have a 15" MBP it came with dedcated graphics too. 🙂

It lets you do 3D games and handle more graphics at the same time, like my running two iTunes visuals at the same time etc.

Mac video card performance

My cpu gets very hot while using VM Ware Fusion image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.