Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Processor and Graphics query for G4 PowerMac 'Digital Audio'

Hey all, two questions here...

Question 1

Ive got ANOTHER new processor and graphics card for my Digital Audio G4. The processor i had in it before was a Sonnet Encore ST/G4 1GHz, ive replaced this with the same make of processor but at 1.4GHz. The processor works fine and the machine runs fine, but it isn't listed properly in the system profilers...

In OS9 it's speed is described as "about 656Mhz" and in OSX its described as 0MHz!

Im not too worried since everything seems to be working fine, but i want to be sure that its not going to suddenly blow up on me, and if anyone else has had things like this happen with these processors or configurations. Ive still got the 1GHz should anything go wrong, but newer, more powerful stuff is always good!

Question 2

The new graphics card i put in is a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro PC & Mac Edition. Ive read a few things on the internet about it sometimes not working with DA Power Macs but thought id chance it anyway, i can always sell it on if it didn't work...

Well the card works in both OS9 and OSX and displays everything fine, its recognised by both systems and everything. The only problem is i can't change the display settings, on both systems the only display option ive got is x736 (or whatever it is thats closest to it), there are no other options available, i can't choose anything else in the Recommended menu, not can i change from Thousands to Millions of colours.

Of course its generally agreed that these cards work better on G5s than G4s, despite it saying on the box that it supports G4s. Ive also downloaded the ATI Displays Control Panel to see if i can control it that way, but to no avail. Does anyone have any info or words of advice on this?

Cheers all!

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2012 11:28 AM

1. Common problem if the card uses half step multipliers or past x9, look for...

SonnetCache 1.4.pkg

Might try a version of SwitchResX for whichever OS you decide to use...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15467

Hopefully an expert will drop in with better/more info. 🙂

15 replies

May 17, 2012 3:09 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

Consider yourself lucky to have as much use out of the 9600 PC/Mac card.

The driver support was always sketchy.

The 9600 processor was always a rip off, the OEM 9600s lame, at best, and the PC/Mac version was a bad joke, pulled from the market the same year that it was released.

Get a real card. the DA can run a flashed Geforce 6800 GT or a Radeon 9800 XT or X800XT (flashed FireGL X3).

May 17, 2012 4:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Nice call with the Sonnet Cache pkg BDAqua! found and installed that and now the processor comes up fine as a 1.4Ghz! nice to know that i do have a processor with a speed about 0Mhz xD.

I have noticed though it seems a bit slow to boot up now, it boots up fine but it just takes a while to load everything up on the desktop and such...could it be the processor or something else? I also took note that the upgrade card manual states that one would use the heatsink that came with the original processor when installing this card. Ive managed to fit a heat sink from a processor i bought a while back as an upgrade (this DA originally came with a 466Mhz but i found and installed a 733MHz with the appropriate heatsink)

Ive yet to put the new processor through its paces, firing up so machine intensive apps and such to see what its like, but i have this niggling worry that it might bugger up due to a wrong heatsink, or it not being on properly. What are the risks and is there anything i should watch out for?

Also with the card japamac...

I never realised it had such a bad rep, ive had a perfectly working Radeon 9000 Pro in there before (which ive subsequently put back in for the time being), so is there no way that i can get it to work properly? Also how common are these cards you recommend to find?

May 17, 2012 4:37 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

well the 1GHz Encore i had on the machine before-hand came with its own heatsink and fan already attached, i tried swapping these around but the heatsink wont fit because the connector for the fan it seated higher up on this new card so it cant sit on top of the processor properly. The sink ive got on it at the mo is much bigger than the one that came with the 1GHz so i would assume it would be able to handle more heat, but again i dont want the thing to suddenly blow up on me! The card has a connector for a fan, are there any particular ones i need and how would i go about attaching it to the heatsink? The one on the other Encore is screwed into the sink but i dont really want to go at it with a drill...

May 17, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

Good to hear, thanks! 🙂

Do follow the advice to add as much cooling as you can, & use the best Ceramique Thermal Paste you can find.

Did you clear all the Caches yet?

At this point I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! :-)

Disconnect the USB cable from any Uninterruptible Power Supply so the system doesn't shut down in the middle of the process.

Just sits there occupying very little space & never interfering, unless you need to invoke it in Single User Mode.

Look for the 10.3 version of AppleJack 1.4.3.1 (326 KB) (For Mac Jaguar and Panther), here...

http://mac.oldapps.com/applejack.php

May 17, 2012 6:17 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

You shouldn't have to go at it with more than two screws. If you get ones that can fit down inside the heatsink blades with just a bit of thread biting in, you're fine. It's not a high stress or heavy load on the screws, but there should be enough resistance that they won't wiggle loose and start the fan flopping and clunking around the chassis. Do you still have the original heatsink fan? If not, that makes it a bear to hook up up as the fan connector is just the two pins sticking off the logic board. ANY small fan will do. You can wire directly off one of the spare molex ends you have - there is even the option if you get a larger fan to use the 12 volt leads and give it the wind-tunnel treatment - LOL - Though that may be a bit noisy!

As far as fans go, if it works, it's legal. This is my G4's setup so you can see. Note that they are powered via the molex. I do have a third, dead fan, that is on the CPU power supply, as the system for whatever reason won't start without it connected. It sits next to the hard drives and looks pretty.

The CPU fan strung between two long lighting screws locked in to the holes in the rear chassis and suspended between 6 plumber's O rings for sound abatement. (this works a *charm*) http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/DSC04273a.jpg

..and the BIG fan I pulled from a laptop cooling pad from Goodwill, with the total boss wiring connection - http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/DSC04277a.jpg

Deb.

May 18, 2012 2:39 AM in response to Aaron Cottrell

ive had a perfectly working Radeon 9000 Pro in there before

A really good little card, just no Core Image support.

is there no way that i can get it to work properly?

You were doing better than many have ever done with that cardI can't count how many people came here, loking for help when that card was released.

After ATI dropped "G4" from the officially supported list, many G5 owners found that the card wouldn't work in the mid 2004 G5's.

Shortly, there after, ATI discontinued the card.

A disaster, that card was.....

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/9600_mac_pc_edition.html

There were never any "retail" driver updates for that card:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/macosx10-4x-3x-radeon.aspx

They used to be real common, but are getting scarce.

An international seller for the Geforce 6800 GT isn't currently listed, but there is one Radeon 9800 XT (trusted seller.

May 18, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Aaron Cottrell

New day, new tests NEW RESULTS...

When i got up today i thought id have another go at that card (i can be very stubborn and determined at times...) i put the card in, pushed down a bit harder on it (which for some reason some people on other forums have said helps) and gave it another go...IT WORKS!

I can only select one resolution in OS9 (x768) but it looks fine, i dont think OS9 was ever really designed for res above that anyway, and in OSX its in x1200 (i have the G4 plugged into my tv using a DVI-VGA adaptor) i have the option to choose Millions of colours as well as the whole list of choosable resolutions that i had with the 9000 Pro! Interesting to note, i dont know if this makes a difference, but i plugged the adaptor into the other DVI output on the card. I know these cards have dual link ports but i dont know if that effects a single on or if thats only when they are both hooked up together...

Im going to put it through its paces now, load up some Photoshop stuff, try out so demainding games like Doom 3 and see what the results are, i know i shouldn't get too excited but hey, its working!

Also with regards to the fans Deb...

This G4 never came with a CPU fan, it originally had a 433MHz processor in so im guessing it never got hot enough to need one, i know the 733MHz machine had one. Ive had a look on 'the 'bay' and there are a few MDD CPU fans going fairly cheap, can these be installedin these machines? I know they screw in to one of the air holes on the back, behind the CPU...

May 18, 2012 1:09 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

well results so far are promising...

ive put it through the 'OWC test' i.e get it to play a few games of Chess with itself since this works the processor. No problems there, its worked fine and everything. I checked it afterwards and the heatsink is quite hot, but it doesn't seem to have any serious effect. Im going to look into getting a CPU fan for it though, like Deb said, you can never have too many.

graphics card is still working fine too, i installed Doom 3 on the machine and played through that a bit, it does get a bit laggy at times, going down to 10-14 fps, but i wouldn't say its unplayable. I find it interesting though how thats the case even though the 9600 is the minimum recommended card for the game (w/64mb vram) and it was on low quality graphics. Still itll run Doom 3 at a playable level, couldnt say that before!

I also gave it a full benchmark test using Xbench, results are here if you're interested:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/Iamtheroflcopter/BenchmarkResults.jpg

So overall i think a very surprising but successful series of upgrades, especially considering the graphics cards shouldn't work in this machine (ive jinxed it now you watch!) other than a CPU is there anything else people would recommend to make sure this machine doesn't decide to kick the bucket?

May 19, 2012 1:04 PM in response to japamac

That sure is an interesting site you got there japamac! you've clearly been around the G4 block!

Had a go at that timedemo thing for Doom 3, the fps is about 20, not too bad methinks, i guess i was just hoping for a bit more...oh well.

Bit of a long shot as well but, now ive got the card working fine in OSX ive been looking into it for OS9, since ive got a second HD in my G4 that has OS9 on it. Turns out i can use the system fine, however the res is locked at 1900x1200, i dont know why its suddenly decided to do this since it was at x768 when i first installed the card, but its meaning that i can't use certain apps and games in OS9 since they obviously weren't designed to work in that high a res. Some jump into windowed mode and some just dont display. Do you know of anyway i can get it to provide a list of resolutions? If i can get it to work in OSX ill be damned if i can't get it to work in OS9!

Processor and Graphics query for G4 PowerMac 'Digital Audio'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.