Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AIM ichat offline message

Hello,

My AIM/AOL account was hacked approximately 4-5 years ago. My family and I shutdown the AOL account because no one used AOL anymore anyway. While we were on the phone with AOL support, he advised that AIM accounts cannot be deleted but due to inactivity it would just disappear. As a result, he advised not using my ichat as long as my screenname was linked. I haven't used my iChat since until it was accidentally clicked on the other day. A message came up from the day before from a phone sex operator. Can someone please explain how this is possible? The hacker obviously uses my name for explicit material, and I remember from using AOL/AIM that offline messages can be retrieved anywhere once you log on, but can someone provide a link verifying this?

Thanks for all of your help,

Rick

MacBook

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:24 PM

1 reply

May 18, 2012 12:32 PM in response to RickMeyer

Hi,

You can login to AIM from various Apps that can use the service (AIM Clients of which iChat is one).

You can login from a Web Browser and use AIM Express to Chat.

There is also this Settings page.

In any of thse cases you can be at any computer anywhere in the world as long as you have the Screen Name and the password that goes with it.

IF the name was linked to an AOL Account and you then Closed the AOL account the AIM Name part (essentially the bit before the @AOL.com) becomes Blocked.

The easiest way to check would be to login or attempt to do so on the AIM Settings page.

This page also lets you Change the Password or recover the password either On Line or sent to an email (Yours may be the @AOL name you had and will not be accessible this way).

At one time AOL and some of the companies they bought (Netscape, Compuserve2000 and others) stated that Names used for the AIM service would be "For Life".

What happened about 6 or so years ago was that AIM decided to re-release names that they deemed to be Unused.

The Process included purging all and every Buddy List that had the Name before it was released so that people could not pretend to be someone else.

Lets say the Name you created was issacnewton.

Lets also say you had 60 Buddies at the time that knew you as issacnewton and had you in their Buddy Lists.

Then you stop using the name.

AIM would have cleared these 60 Buddy lists of your issacnewton name. (this does cause some disruption to their service - we did see wholesale disruptions to many thousands of people when AIM started doing this).

Once this is done the issacnewton name is then Available when people try to register new Names.

If the Name (sometimes referred to as An "Account") is still present in iChat and you have found that people are still trying to contact that name you can remove it in iChat.

Open iChat and go to the iChat menu > Preferences > Accounts

Highlight the Account name and then use the minus button at the bottom of the List.

I would also visit the AIM Settings page if you can login and change some of the Privacy Setting in LifeStream and Privacy so that the name is less "Visible".

Make a point of deliberately Signing Out when you finished as the Default Login period if you don't do this is two weeks.

Summary.

Your "Account" or Screen Name may be still available.

It is also possible that as an unused Name it was "reclaimed" and Recycled by AIM and that now someone else has the name. (Years tend to have to have elapsed for this)

If the Account is still accessible by you I would change the Settings at AIM Settings for LifeStream.
The Default is ON and this allows others to "see" the Name And there is "Spamming" of sorts on AIM.

Also the Privacy Setting, set to Not show your details also makes the name less accessible.

If you managed to Login and saw a Message then this was something Sent to the Name/Account and not someone using the Name.

You can set iChat to Display the "Recent Buddies" list (A List kept at the AIM servers of people that have contacted you but are NOT in the Buddy list itself.

You can then add these (or some) people to the Block List (iChat > Preferences > Accounts > Security) if you are worried about who might see the messages.

User uploaded file
8:32 PM Friday; May 18, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.7.4),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

AIM ichat offline message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.