Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Yahoo spam in Mail

I'm currently a Mail Plus customer (not sure if I will continue). I'm using Mac OSX ver 10.7.4, Mail ver 5.2. In Mac OSX Mail desktop mail client, I was using IMAP to access my email account. Yesterday, spam emails (that are actually marked as spam by Yahoo, not something that slipped by the filters) started showing up as unread emails in the Yahoo Bulk Folder in my desktop Mail. I tried deleting the bulk folder, but got an error message that isn't allowed. The only way I can see to get rid of the spam emails without looking at them and opening them is to open the yahoo webpage and delete them from there. Sort of negates the value of paying for Mail Plus. I've currently switched to POP, but prefer IMAP, so I don't have to delete the same messages on all my devices.

How do I prevent Yahoo spam emails in the bulk folder from showing up in my desktop Mail client?

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:55 PM

8 replies

May 17, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Glenn Leblanc wrote:

Best thing is to turn off spam filtering at the yahoo site and do your junk filtering only in Mail. If you're an ATT customer, then go to att.net webmail and go into mail settings there.

Interesting suggestion, but my goal is for the spam to stay off my computer completely. So, turning off spam filtering in yahoo is the opposite of what I want. I want to keep the spam filtering, but not have it show up in Mail.

Aug 4, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Karen P

I just created a Rule on my Mail client. Basically if the message was junk, move it to the trash. You can do this by:

1) Mail > Preferences > Rules

2) Add Rule

3) Fill in with the following inputs:

• <Whatever_Name_U_Want>
  • all
  • Message is junk mail
  • Delete Message

The inputs should me inserted from top to bottom.

Play around with the rules to really get an experience most preferable to your needs and desires. As a fun tip of what is possible, I have a rule to make the icon bounce whenever a message from a VIP address is received. Just as an extra 'heads up".

Dec 19, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Karen P

I know this is an old thread but wanted to post a link to a page that *might* help: https://paulschreiber.com/blog/2011/02/19/howto-set-up-imap-email-for-yahoo

I stumbled upon it after I already cleared out my Spam folder in Yahoo so I have yet to test if it works.

Specifically go to step 10 which shows you how to manually identify "special mailboxes". You'd designate Bulk Mail as a Junk mailbox and it'll be placed under the Junk folder under Mailboxes. I assume at that point it'll be cleaned up when you Erase Junk Mail.

This is the example for the Drafts folder. You'd do the same to Bulk Mail which you'd specify as a Junk mailbox.

Select the Draft folder. Then select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts:

User uploaded file

Problem with Yahoo spam in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.