Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do a hardware check on OS X 10.7.4

Hello,

By any chance does anyone know how to do a hardware check on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.4? I tried to restart holding the "D" key as appears in the manual but it doesn't work...

Thanks,

JC

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:26 PM

13 replies

May 17, 2012 4:28 PM in response to JC26

How to run hardware diagnostics for an Intel Mac

Boot from your original OS X Installer Disc One that came with your computer. After the chime press and hold down the "D" key until the diagnostic screen appears. Run the extended tests for a minimum of two or three hours. If any error messages appear note them down as you will need to report them to the service tech when you take the computer in for repair.

Some "common" error indicators:

SNS - sensor error

MEM - memory error

HDD - hard disk drive error

MOT - fan error

May 17, 2012 9:57 PM in response to JC26

Maybe you can try using COMMAND-D instead. From what I could find you are supposed to be able to initiate the hardware test via the Internet on the newer machines. You may have to install the firmware upgrade that made this work for machines that came out in 2010.

EDIT:

I don't know if this is relevant in any way: Using Lion Recovery when no DHCP service is available, About the "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine" message, and MacBook Air- Using Apple Hardware Test

May 17, 2012 10:05 PM in response to JC26

I, too, bought a MacBook Pro, late 2011, with Lion installed... and then I went ahead and spent the $30 for the Lion Installer from the App Store. I then created a Lion installer/boot USB thumb drive 'just in case.' I used a convoluted way to make the USB flash drive, following a tip on the MacWorld website, but there is now something called Lion DiskMaker that I used to make the USB flash drive install/boot drive again. It will also create a bootable DVD but the flash drive is just so much faster.

I'd recommend this for all Lion users.

Regards,

Clinton

May 17, 2012 10:33 PM in response to Kappy

I know - that's why I suggested buying the Lion Install from the App Store. I used it Tuesday to restore my TM backup to my new (as you read about in another thread!) SSD. Worked fine for me!

Oh, and I should mention that each time that there is a new system version, the app is 'upgraded' in the App Store and you can download the latest version if you've purchased an older version. That's one reason I used Lion DiskMaker to make a 'new' boot drive.

Regards,

Clinton

Mar 9, 2013 4:19 PM in response to JC26

Use the Alt and D keys (together) immediatley after pressing the Power button, but before the grey screen.

The computer will show Internet Recovery please wait

You then get a box to select your internet connection

select from the drop down list

you then have to key in you Wifi Password (Not your apple Admin password)

then the Hardware Test appears.

How to do a hardware check on OS X 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.